This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

“Elections Canada stats show that only 38.8 percent of those 18 to 24 years old voted in the 2011 federal election” (Huffington Post). I’ll just let that sink in for a moment. There’s no sugar-coating that shocking statistic. As youth, it’s time to change that statistic around!

Here’s why YOU should vote:

a. It Benefits Students

As students, if there is a higher voter turnout, politicians will be more inclined to support initiatives that benefits us. These initiatives may include improving issues regarding student debt or increasing student job opportunities.

b. It Affects YOUR Present and Future

As the millennial generation, we have a chance to influence both the present and the future. Whether you vote or not, this will affect your future, so why not contribute to decisions that will otherwise be made for you about the future of your society? Even if you’re on the fence, it’s important to vote. By not voting, you give another person an extra vote.  

c. Improve Social Issues

This is your chance to vote for a candidate that best represents your views on certain social agendas. Even if you’re unsure, just look up a party’s platform and you can find issues that you align with – whether it be about the environment or LGBTQ rights. 

d. Honour Your Right to Vote

As women, it’s important to vote in honour of women and suffragettes who fought and lost their lives in order to gain the right to vote.

Here is what a few McGill Students had to say:

Anna Stuber for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Why is voting important to you?

Eric Blachut: “I think voting is really important because if you don’t vote then you don’t really have the right to complain about politics (especially on Facebook) for the next five years.”

Franny Johnstone: “In an interview with Vice, Justin Trudeau said something that I think is worth noting on the importance of voting, particularly among young people. He highlighted the fact that a lot of young people prefer to essentially stay out of it when it comes to politics, as they don’t feel that casting a vote is a “powerful way of making a difference”. However as Trudeau points out, by not voting, you are still in a sense voting, as you’re giving someone else a double-vote. Now there’s a good chance that that person won’t necessarily share your political beliefs, and that’s why I think it’s really important for young people to get out to the polls on October 19th. The objectives of young people need to be addressed, and our voices need to be heard. That’s not going to happen if nobody votes.”

Maddy Suggitt: “The only reason I have in not voting is lack of political knowledge. I feel that with the lack of knowledge I have, both on political issues and about the platforms of the political parties, my vote would be wasted. That being said I do think voting is important. Our generation is largely uninformed about politics and voting is a good opportunity to increase our political knowledge.”

Gemma Boothroyd: “Well I think that our generation will be dramatically affected by the decline in government funding for social and healthcare services, if that trend persists. We have a lot at stake in this election to turn things around.”

Check out Rick Mercer’s informative video on the importance of voting:

Voting stations in Montreal will be open all day on October 19th and lucky for us students, there will be one right by campus at Carrefour Sherbrooke (475 Sherbrooke) and one on campus at the Brown Student Services Building (3600 McTavish).

If you won’t be on campus tomorrow, UBER is offering free rides to and from polling stations for up to $15 each way!

Information obtained from:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/her-magazine/teaching-kids-vote_b_8303322.html

Images obtained from:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GErlVg7zOog/Tb3xwKU8gMI/AAAAAAAADTg/UuFT1Z0a0G8/s1600/elections-canada.jpg

http://sooke.pocketnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/news-vote.jpg