Internet Issues Clapback: Top Female Astronaut Does Not Need Your Mansplaining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

One Twitter user decided to “mansplain” some physics theory to an IRL astronaut aaaaaaand… the whole internet cringed. Harvard prof and all-around badass Jessica Mier uses Twitter as a platform to explain the interesting ongoings of her unique life. In this instance, she was situated in an environment that mimics a high-altitude space zone. 

My first venture >63,000′, the space equivalent zone, where water spontaneously boils! Luckily I’m suited! pic.twitter.com/0zB5Ku5Tdy

— Jessica Meir (@Astro_Jessica) September 9, 2016

After awhile, a pointed (and entirely unwarranted) remark was thrown into the ring by a Twitter user, who seemed to think his knowledge of atmospheric pressure is helpful and necessary. This phenomenon is also known as “mansplaining” — when a male assumes he is more knowledgable than his female counterpart, and explains the concept in a way that is derogatory or condescending. 

All that being said, the internet gave us, and @CaseyOQuin, the reactions dreams are made of:

Even Dr. Paul Coxon, a physicist in materials science at Cambridge (yup, you heard right) commented, saying this response is a “perfect example of mansplaining.” Mier has yet to respond. Moral of the story? Girls go to college, to get more knowledge… you know the rest. #GirlPower