Top 10 Things to do in your Hometown this Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

This year we have two months at home, so why not make the best of it? School can be stressful, so taking some time to yourself can be a great way to relax and unwind. With spikes in COVID-19, online classes, and less social interaction, I’m sure everyone needs a pick-me-up. So, here are 10 fun and socially distant things to do over this year’s winter break:

Go on a walk in a new place

Try and find a new place to take a relaxing stroll. If you’re from out of state like me, I recommend a park a few towns over from where you live, or maybe even a bike trail. If you’re staying near College Park this break, Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C. has a beautiful walking trail.

Watch the sunset or sunrise

Take the time to treasure nature during the break. With the sun setting earlier and rising later, winter is the best time to go see sunrises and sunsets. I love heading to the top of a nearby parking garage and watching the sunset with my friends.

Pick up a new skill

This year’s break is going to be long, so why not take up a new hobby? Painting, drawing and running are some great activities to give a try this winter. If the country goes back into lockdown, picking up a new hobby can help pass the time.

Read a book

Not many students read for fun, as there’s a lot of assigned reading in classes. Take some time this break to read a good book for pleasure. It can be relaxing and therapeutic to immerse yourself in a fictional world, or even just reading about someone else’s life if you prefer non-fiction. Reading is wonderful, and without deadlines, even relaxing. I loved Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

Go on a drive and just think

One of my favorite things to do when I have the time is to just drive around listening to music. Whether you’re in College Park or your hometown, taking a break from your busy life is always relaxing.

Acts of kindness

Give people something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Volunteering for a local organization is so rewarding, and it’s amazing to help out your community. If you’re staying in Maryland, the Maryland Food Bank is looking for volunteers this holiday season. Just make sure you still take covid precautions.

Try a new restaurant 

Try some new things this break, including new food! The Board and Brew on Route 1 is a great place for brunch, or even a nice dinner.

Go on a bike ride with your family

Spend some quality time with your family and in the process, you’ll be getting great exercise! Sligo Creek Trail in Silver Spring has amazing views and is near College Park if you’re staying in the area.

Go out for coffee with a friend

Catch up with an old friend. The holidays are a great time to reconnect. If you’re staying in College Park, check out Vigilante Coffee for the best lattes!

Cook or bake

Whip up some of your favorite treats for Thanksgiving and share them with your family and friends. Brownies are my favorite!

Sydney is from Northbrook, Illinois and is studying at the Phillip Merrill College of Journalism. She is looking forward to gaining more writing experience.
Gracie is a junior journalism and public policy double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. Currently, Gracie is one of the Campus Correspondents for her chapter alongside Devon Milley.