5 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

When the United Nations revealed that we only have a decade left to reduce the disastrous effects of climate change, the Internet went crazy. Many are still curious as to how they can easily reduce their carbon footprint. In order to do your part in preventing climate change, a few sacrifices have to be made. Listed below are the most basic changes that you can implement in your day to day life so that you can help save the planet.

1. Reduce Your Meat Intake

Limiting your meat consumption can make a big difference. Studies show that food production damages greenhouse gases from livestock and uses untenable amounts of water. So, in other words, feel free to eat a veggie burger or two every once in a while.

2. Drive Less

Choose to bike, walk or simply take the bus. Options like subways and trains also make it easier to become eco-friendly.

3. Eat Local

Shipping food results in a carbon footprint. So, in order to prevent that from happening, eat local and organic food because it will make an immense difference.

4. Turn Off The Lights

Turn the lights off when you’re not at home. You can also simply install a LED light bulb.

5. Reduce Your Water Usage

Try to reduce the amount of water you use on a weekly basis. This could include taking shorter showers, limiting the amount of times you do your laundry during the week, etc.

Zahra Jazayeri

Marquette '22

Political Science & International Affairs major at Marquette University
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.