samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finals: Combating Stress, Anxiety and Fear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

We have all been in the same position at one point: worried, fearful and anxious, all about a few grades. The terrifying thing is that these grades can define us and our college career. Like me, some of you may have googled how to combat stress or just to comfort yourself and you have found testimonies from famous people who have also struggled. I always enjoy reading about Oprah or other celebrities and how they struggled, failed, and then succeeded, soaring and prospering. The sad thing is that there is only one Oprah in the world and no matter how hard we try, we won’t be her. However, there is good news, perhaps even great news. We are Marist students: hard workers and dedicated students with a tight knit community that is indestructible. We are intelligent, capable and, at the moment, some of us are highly stressed. Here are 10 tips to center yourself, relax and unwind:

1. Get as much sleep as you can.
  2. Talk to friends, family and professionals.
  3. Try yoga. Believe me, it works!
  4. If you aren’t feeling well, avoid WebMD. Hearing that you have been diagnosed with a rare, unheard of disease won’t help your high stress levels.
  5. Exercise. It is scientifically proven that the release of endorphins helps combat stress, and relaxes the body.
  6. Eat well, but indulge in the occasional chocolate.
  7. Have some ‘me’ time. Invite your friends over for a facial or movie night.
  8. Stay positive.
  9. Take a break between studying when you know you aren’t getting anything done.
  10. Accept what we cannot change, and if a final does not go your way then aim to do better next time and learn from your mistakes.

Source: Broadview University

Anna Murdock

Marist '22

Hello!! An avid reader constantly stressed and a tea addict. I am a sophomore at Marist College and will be graduating in 2022 with a degree in Psychology. Some fun facts about me are that I am a twin, a Gemini and my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.