DIY Halloween Decorations for Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Walk through Marist’s dorms on any day in October and you’re sure to see a seemingly endless array of caution tape, pumpkins, ghosts, and spider webs plastered on bedroom doors. Getting in the spirit for any holiday is difficult in college, and finding the time, space (or even the energy) to go all out and decorate the small area that you have can be a challenge. But simple DIY decorations can be even more fun than the elaborate ones you may be used to seeing all over your hometown!

Small painted pumpkins, paper skeletons and bats, or homemade spider webs can add some Halloween spirit to any room. If you spend only 5 minutes on decorations, or if you dedicate an entire Sunday to it, these ideas are just as much fun to make as they are to admire until Halloween comes around.

1. Cat String Lights. Since it seems like nearly every dorm room has at least one set of string lights, this is one of the simplest and cutest DIY ideas. Adding small paper cutouts of cat faces onto any set of lights is an almost instant way to make the best decoration ever.

Image Source: DIY Projects for Teens. 

2. Trash Bag Spider Web. Every college student has trash bags. Just grab a pair of scissors to make a collection of spider webs to hang all over your dorm. 

3. Hanging Tissue Ghosts. Just wrap some tissues around a ball of cotton balls, draw on some eyes, and you’re good to go. Tie a string around them to make a garland of ghosts to hang over your bed or on your doors. 

Image Source: Peppermint Plum.

4. Paper Plate Candy Corn Banner. Paint, paper plates, and string are all you need to create a garland of Halloween’s most iconic treat.

5. Painting Pumpkins. If you have the time and money, there is nothing better than having real pumpkins around for Halloween, or even the entire fall season. From cute to scary, from the simplest of faces to elaborate designs, painting pumpkins is an easy and fun activity to get any room ready for Halloween.

6. Gallon Jack-O-Lanterns. Without the budget or the time to run to the store for real pumpkins to carve, these jack-o-lanterns made from plastic gallon jugs are an easy replacement. Filling empty bottles with string lights and drawing on faces, this common everyday item can be made into something super cute.

Makena is the Decor Section Editor, and former Style Section Editor and Editorial Intern at Her Campus. She is a senior at Marist College majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. One day she hopes to put her writing skills to work at a magazine or women's publication.  Follow her on Instagram @makenagera and Twitter @makena_gera.