Words To Live By: Mental Health Edition 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

Here are ten things to tell yourself everyday, first thing in the morning. 

Doesn’t it feel like just yesterday, you were a kid, playing on the swings without a care in the world? Doesn’t it feel like just yesterday, you could fall asleep on the sofa and wake up in the comfort of your own bed? Yes, it’s difficult to envision a defining moment for when exactly we grew up, an exact frame in time when our responsibilities fell onto our shoulders.  However, now that we are here, new to adulthood, there are a lot of things that can be learnt through experiences. And whether you’re a man or a woman, a college student who lives at home or miles away, whether you’re an employee or an entrepreneur, there are some lessons just meant for everyone. So based on my own humble experiences, here are ten things that everyone should remember. 

Tough Times Don’t Last, Tough People Do Never undermine the value of persistence. While it’s true that not a lot of people dare to dream big, even fewer people actually see their dreams through. Always remember that whatever you’re looking for is probably closer than you think. 

The Key is ALWAYS Balance “I’ll join the gym after I get my dream job.” “I’ll start sketching again after I get into my dream college.” The problem with the “I’ll do this after I get that” is that sometimes, “that” may not be immediately attainable. I think most of us easily forget that a balanced lifestyle is often advantageous to the mind, heart and soul. So go ahead, start gymming even if you don’t have that perfect job yet! It’s okay, put that textbook aside and pick up your guitar again. 

Be Kind To Yourself A wise man once said, always condition that inner voice to talk to you like you’d talk to your best friend. Suppose your best friend got recently got out of a bad relationship. Would you tell them that they’re never going to find love again? That they’re too damaged to find happiness? Obviously not! So, don’t talk to yourself in a negative tone either. After all, who can be a better friend to you, than you yourself? 

Mind over Matter It is well said that whether you think you can, or whether you think you can’t, you’re probably right. The reality you create is usually that which you envision. So make sure you believe that you’ll achieve what you’re aiming for, because if you don’t believe it’ll happen, it’s not gonna happen. 

There’s No Shame in Feeling Tired If you’ve tried and tried and tried and still ended up locking eyes with disappointment yet again, you’re bound to feel tired from within. But learn to rest and recharge, not quit. Because the failure isn’t actually infailing, it’s in quitting. 

Never Cry For the Same Reason Twice  This isn’t the same as never cry. On the contrary, it’s toxic to bottle up any kind of emotions, even more so if those emotions are negative. So if you feel like it’ll help, cry it out. But make sure that you spend all that energy to reset your mind. Once you wipe those tears, whatever the issue was shouldn’t be a reason for concern anymore. If it is, the problem is real and crying isn’t a solution. Instead, try talking things over with someone you trust. 

Stop Comparing  A very common tendency, especially among us millennials seems to be is to compare. Compare ourselves, compare situations and compare lives. Don’t. We get only one life. Live it to the fullest, in your own way. Don’t turn it into a race or competition. Let the journey remain more beautiful than the destination. 

Hold your head high, but keep your feet on the ground Personally, I feel that the line between self confidence and over confidence is a very thin one. But both, confidence and humility are two qualities that are equally important. You know that person, that ideal version of you that exists only within your mind? There’s only one way to become that version. Just keep trying to be that person until you succeed. If you try hard enough, you will succeed. 

Step Outside Your Comfort Zone – and enjoy the discomfort you feel Quite frankly, this is the only way we’ll ever become better versions of ourselves. After all, when did any beautiful story start with “I was lying on my bed and…”? Doing anything worthwhile isn’t going to be easy. Do it anyway. You owe it to yourself. 

Live Free. Love Bold. Laugh Loud. At the end of the day, it’s your life to live. It’s your journey to enjoy, it’s your one chance at everything, and life is short. Why waste your time, or your energy, over things that you know in your heart aren’t important? Don’t be afraid to show the world the real you. In fact, go ahead and dazzle the world with the real you. Don’t be so focused on the big picture that you’ll miss out on the details hidden in the pixels because that’s where the beauty lies.   

Smriti Singh

Manipal '22

A passionate writer since my childhood, I’m a true believer of the saying, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” Among many other things, I’m a technology enthusiast. I’m fascinated by artificial Intelligence and all things ML. I’m also a proud feminist, a budding coder and confident leader.