breakfast brunch toast granola food
breakfast brunch toast granola food
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Nutritious Dorm-Friendly Snack Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The diet culture and body image-driven society we live in today is making young women believe they have to achieve a certain figure or weight to be “beautiful.” Unfortunately, this can lead to unhealthy and restrictive eating habits. Many people seem to believe that they will gain ten pounds if they snack between meals. This may be true if all you eat is processed food, such as chips or candy, that offers little to no nutritional value. Therefore, below I have provided you with a few of my favorite dorm-friendly, nutrient-dense, and guilt-free snacks that will hold you over until your next meal!

Pro tip: Try to include at least 2 food groups (fruit, vegetable, whole grain, protein, dairy) or macronutrients (carb, protein, fat) in every snack. 

1. Apple/Banana + Peanut Butter

There is nothing better than the classic combination of apple slices or banana dipped in your favorite nut butter (i.e. cashew, almond, or peanut)! Apples and bananas are great sources of fiber and nut butter provides just the right amount of protein to pair with it. When selecting a nut butter, I would aim for brands with the smallest ingredient list. All I look for in peanut butter is roasted peanuts and maybe some salt. 

2. Mixed nuts + clementine

Nuts are the perfect on-the-go snack when you’re in a rush or running in between classes. I like buying variety packs of whole mixed nuts without the M&M’s or honey-roasted seasoning; any food is most nutritionally valuable when in its whole, natural form. Paired with a clementine or orange, this is the perfect combo of healthy fats and vitamin C. 

3. Nuts + Popcorn

In case you didn’t know, eating air-popped popcorn (without the added flavoring, salt, and butter) actually provides a variety of health benefits! Like some of the other snacks listed, this whole-grain snack is a great source of fiber, has been proven to lower cholesterol levels, and regulates blood sugar! If you do not want to eat it on its own, add a handful of your favorite mixed nuts for a balance of healthy fats. 

4. Yogurt + toppings

Yogurt used to never be my favorite thing, but recently I started to get into vegan yogurts! One of my favorite vegan yogurt brands is So Delicious. Their yogurt base is delicious and creamy coconut milk that comes in a variety of flavors. I like to top my yogurt with granola, coconut flakes, and/or chia seeds. If you are not into the vegan thing, plain Greek yogurt is just as good! It is filled with probiotics that benefit digestive health and its rich in calcium.

5. Carrot sticks + hummus    

Another staple snack of mine is veggies and hummus. Whether you like cherry tomatoes, carrots or cucumbers, it couldn’t get more simple than picking up a bag of baby carrots and a pack of hummus at the grocery store. Hummus contains wonderful anti-inflammatory properties and is a great post-workout snack to replenish your muscles with a plant-based protein.

There are a bunch of different combinations of foods out there that can provide a nutritious yet delicious mid-day snack. I hope these suggestions inspire you to find what works best for you! Bon appetit!

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!