My Own Personal 10 Rules for Skincare (how I got rid of rosacea)

Rosacea is basically an extreme form of facial redness. If you find you struggle with easily inflamed skin, flushing, or veins, chances are you have a mild case of rosacea. No worries, I did too, and sometimes my skin can still flare up. However, I found that really focusing on great skincare helped it get better. I have decided to share my 10 sacred rules for what touches my face these days in hopes they can help some of you. 

While these tips are for rosacea, anyone with sensitive skin could find them helpful!

1. If you leave the house without SPF ever, stop reading and go buy SPF.

I’m serious. Every dermatologist, esthetician, grandmother, mother, blog writer, etc. will tell you to do this, and turns out they are right. This is especially important if your skin is easily inflamed (you). SPF protects our skin from UVA/UVB rays, which can cause premature ageing, more redness, discoloration, skin cancer, or your face to melt off. Just kidding on the last one, but still.

My picks: Supergoop! CC Screen, Blue Lizard Sensitive

2. Moisturize like Mrs. Doubtfire putting her face in that pie

If the buzzwords on a moisturizer read “lightweight, oil free, basically just $65 water” run so far away. There are basically two classes of moisturizers, those that introduce moisture and those that keep it in. Rosacea affects the moisture barrier of the skin in a not so nice way, so we need both. Hyaluronic acid serums introduce water, and thicker moisturizers with things like glycerin and squalene hold moisture in. It is all about finding what combo if the two works best for you, I find I like a hydrating serum in the morning with a slightly thinner moisturizer, followed by a very thick moisturizer in the evening.

My picks:Vanicream Moisturizing Cream (evening), Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream (both), Glow Recipe Banana Souffle Moisturizer (morning)

3. Double cleanse like most of the time

Yes, the influencers are right, you should double cleanse. Especially if you have sensitive skin. When you do your skincare routine, you want your skin to be as clean as possible. You do not want any residue on your face at all, and our cleansers aren’t equipped to deal with mascara and oil buildup at the same time. Residue from makeup can cause serious irritation so you want it GONE gone. It feels extra, but trust me

My picks: Burt’s Bees Cleansing Oil, Clinique Take The Day Off Balm  

4. Speaking of cleansing—don’t use stripping cleansers

It can be tempting to literally peel your face off with cleanser, but do not fall for it. Cleansers get rid of residue and buildup on the face from throughout the day. People with drier skin need a less intense cleanser because they have less excess oil. Chances are if you are reading this article, you should opt for a less stripping cleanser.

My picks: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser

5. Don’t be afraid of exfoliants, but don’t go overboard

Chemical exfoliants are what you want to go with here, physical exfoliants can be too harsh on your moisture barrier. Go for more gentle exfoliating acids like mandelic acid or lactic acid, glycolic acid is also fine at lower concentrations. I like to exfoliate either with a very mild exfoliating cleanser or an exfoliating toner. However, maybe do it every other day at first to make sure your skin likes it

My picks: Amorepacific Exfoliating Powder Cleanser, REN Daily AHA Toner

6. As a matter of fact, don’t be afraid of any active ingredients

Hello, avid retinol user here. You can start with a retinol alternative or a different form of retinol. I currently use retinol palmitate. Retinol can help texture, pores, and clarity of skin but start out slow. I have used vitamin C in the past, and loved it, just be extra careful because it can intensify redness. Hyaluronic acid is basically your best friend because it introduces moisture to your skin. A great rule of thumb is to introduce actives slowly, even starting at once a week. Then incorporating them as your skin tolerates, and never ever try to incorporate more than one at a time.

My picks: Shani Darden Texture Reform, Glow Recipe Plum Plump Serum

7. Well, maybe this one active ingredient

Salicylic acid is not your friend. This acid pulls debris from pores, which is great if you have oily skin, disastrous for sensitive skin. I have not met one product with SA in it that I have liked. This may be just me, but I would avoid SA especially if your skin is dry and red.

My picks: nothing ever

8. You can totally mix it up

Masks, peels, whatever; if you want to and you think your skin will handle it, go for it. Don’t be afraid to try something new. If you’re bored with your routine and think a new cleansing experience can spice it up, go for it. If you think you want to try that new vitamin C serum, why not? Worst case scenario your skin gets inflamed and you return the product.

9. But sometimes it’s best to keep your routine simple

I dedicate at least one night a week to wash my face, put some moisturizer on, and go to bed. Sure, you absolutely can and should be having fun with your skincare, but sometimes your skin does need a break. I like to take this night to maybe take a bath, read, or watch a little extra Netflix.That way I can soothe my skin and my mind.

10. Most importantly, do what makes you happy!

If you read this and thought “I am absolutely not doing any of this” that’s okay (not the SPF, seriously, don’t skip that). The main point of skincare is to take time doing something that’s good for you. I have found that it is a great practice in self-gratitude for me to take the time to do a skincare routine. My skin is different than yours, but hopefully some of my tips and tricks can help you have the complexion of a fresh baby dolphin.