Mister to Madame

“We did it, Joe!” January 20, 2021 marks a historic day of firsts that we will never forget. It was the day America went from Mister to Madame in the Vice President-elect lineage. Kamala D. Harris was sworn into office making her the first woman, the first African American, and the first South Asian American to serve as Vice-President of the United States.

Celebrating firsts in anything brings about great excitement, significance, and progress. This is a steppingstone for women no matter their background or beliefs. I’m sure we can all recall when there was a time when women couldn’t vote, slavery still existed, and segregation was still enforced. From these historic events to having a woman in a place of power in the White House shows us that we have come a long way. We as women now have been allotted not only the chance but now the power to make the changes we want to see in our country.

This is a large role to fill and one that will show the younger generation of girls that this could be them. As Kamala Harris says, she may be the first, but she definitely won’t be the last