Current Top 5 Reads

If you’re anything like me, you love reading but sometimes feel too overwhelmed with your options and don’t know where to start. I decided to help out and provide you with a guide based on my recent reading habits. Quarantine allowed me to rekindle my love for reading that I haven’t been able to nurture since starting college, and hopefully this list will either do the same for you or create a new group of book lovers!

From YA to Adult Contemporary, here are my Current Top 5 Reads!

Number 5: The Cruel Prince (Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black

I won’t lie, it took me a while to get into this series, but once I did, I was hooked. If you’re looking for a more light-hearted YA Fantasy journey, this is definitely the book for you.

Jude Duarte, a human raised in the land of faerie, is a force to be reckoned with. Prince Cardan Greenbriar (heir to the throne) is the tall, dark, and handsome brooding jerk we all end up loving anyway. Their transition from enemies to reluctant partners to lovers is a tale that will have you smiling involuntarily. As soon as you reach the end, you’ll be scrambling for the next installment.

Also, if you’re looking for that little bit of spice, Holly’s got you covered.

Favorite Quote: “Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.” 

Number 4: Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Number 4 is not to be overlooked. It’s a fantastical heist that’ll leave your head spinning.

From a crippled gang leader to a dead-shot dropout to a former kidnapped prostitute, this group of misfits has every talent you could possibly need to pull off a successful heist. While the heist itself is magnificent, it’s the characters and their relationships with each other that make this book so special. You don’t want to miss out on Kaz and Inej or Wylan and Jesper. And you really, really don’t want to miss out on badass Nina and her fantastical powers that drive the world this tale is set in.

Favorite Quote: “No mourners. No funerals.”

Number 3: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Mrs. Reid earned herself not one, but two spots on my list. Evelyn Hugo goes down as one of the best LGBTQ+ books I’ve ever read, and I will hold it dear to my heart forever.

By the title alone you’re probably thinking like my friend’s parents: either this woman really likes getting married, or she really likes killing men. If you are thinking that, you’d be wrong on both accounts. Don’t be fooled: this novel is about all of the different ways you can love someone, grow apart from someone, and fall back together. It’s about desperation, manipulation, and the selfish lengths you’ll go to in order to protect yourself and the ones you love. It’s about making up for lost time, righting your wrongs, and letting go. Told from the perspective of an aged 50s Hollywood starlet, Evelyn Hugo navigates the trials and tribulations of life as a bisexual Cuban woman in the spotlight.

Reid does such a wonderful job of bringing characters to life, by the end of the novel you’ll feel like you know Evelyn and all of her friends. You’ll find yourself wishing you could watch the movies she starred in and read the tabloids about her “scandalous” life. And you’ll hate her, but you’ll love her all the same.

Favorite Quote(s): “Sometimes reality comes crashing down on you. Other times reality simply waits, patiently, for you to run out of the energy it takes to deny it.” // “Make them pay you what they would pay a white man.”

Number 2: Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Coming in at Number 2 is a forbidden romance for the ages. What more could you want than the FSOTUS (First Son of the United States) and the Prince of England falling in love? I’ve read this book twice since discovering it, and it was even better the second time around.

Not only does it bring steamy romance, world traveling, and knee-slapping humor to the table, but it also gives crazy emotional insight into the struggles of discovering your sexuality. Turns out whether you’re part of the first family or the Prince of England, sexuality crises are pretty universal. What’s really important though, is the voice given to Alex Claremont-Diaz, a young bisexual man who hasn’t quite figured it out yet. His internal monologue is so raw and true, it will stick with you long after you’ve closed the book.

I laughed, I cried (boy, did I cry), I punched my pillow, I grinned like a schoolgirl. I convinced all of my friends they had to read it, and they loved it just the same.

#Claremont2020.

Favorite Quote(s): “Straight people, he thinks, probably don’t spend this much time convincing themselves they’re straight.” // “I thought, if someone like that ever loved me, it would set me on fire. And then I was a careless fool, and I fell in love with you anyway.”

Number 1: Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

What isn’t there to say about this book? As soon as I read it, it became an instant favorite. In fact, at the time of writing this article, I consider it my favorite book. Of all time.

In 346 short pages, this book taught me more about life, love, and the meaning of happiness than the past twenty years have. Reid is a force to be reckoned with, her choice of interview format taking you deep into the lives of each and every character. I suggest listening to this book on audio if you have the chance, as it’s equipped with a full cast that makes you feel like you’re really listening to this band from the 70s recount their epic, crazy journey in a sit-down interview.

If you’re looking for a book that has everything, Daisy Jones is your gal. From sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll to female empowerment and heartbreak, this book will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you’ll definitely need 5 to 7 business days to recover from.

Favorite Quote: “I am not a muse. I am the somebody. End of f***ing story.”