oscar 2103653 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 2103653 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Quick Recap: Oscars Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The 2022 Oscar season has officially come to an end. The first Academy Award show since the pandemic was exciting and so funny that it was even slap-worthy. Here are some main events that took place at the award show:

The show opened up with three female hosts, Wanda Sykes, Amy Schumer and Regina Hall. Every host opens the show with a little dig at an actor. This year’s dig was centered on Samuel L. Jackson’s recent honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement with the ladies mocking his films’ lack of variety.

The Queen Beyonce opened up the Oscars on a tennis court singing her original hit song “Be Alive,” from the film King Richard. She slayed her performance, as per usual.

The saying is true: History does in fact repeat itself. One of West Side Story’s finest performances was well-deservedly recognized. Ariana DeBose finished her awards season slaughter with a victory for Best Supporting Actress making her the second Anita to do so (Rita Moreno won 60 years ago). She is also the first openly gay woman of color to win an Oscar.

And now, for the best moment in television history – Will Smith stormed the stage and took a swing at presenter and comedian Chris Rock, in the most chaotic moment since La La Land was wrongly voted Best Picture back in 2017. He was enraged by a joke made by Rock about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, while on stage to deliver the Documentary prize.

That was a quick recap of the 2022 Oscars. Now, for the actual purpose of the Oscars, here are the winners for each category:

Best Picture

CODA

Best Actress

Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye Best Actor

Will Smith, King Richard Best Director

Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog

Best Supporting Actor

Troy Kotsur, CODA

Best Supporting Actress

Ariana DeBose, West Side Story Best Makeup and Hairstyling

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Best Production Design

Zsuzsanna Sipos and Patrice Vermette, Dune Best Original Song

“No Time to Die,” No Time to Die Best Documentary Feature

Summer of Soul

Best Score

Hans Zimmer, Dune Best Editing

Dune

Best Adapted Screenplay

Sian Heder, CODA
Best Original Screenplay

Kenneth Branagh, Belfast Best Costume Design

Jenny Beavan, Cruella
Best Live-Action Short

The Long Goodbye

Best International Feature

Drive My Car (Japan) Best Animated Short

The Windshield Wiper

Best Animated Feature

Encanto

Best Visual Effects

Dune

Best Documentary Short

The Queen of Basketball

Best Cinematography

Greig Fraser, Dune Best Sound

Dune

Jessica is a journalism major at LMU. She has a passion for film and entertainment, as well as writing.