5 Tips for Studying for the LSAT

Studying for the LSAT can be a daunting task. I know as I started studying I definitely felt overwhelmed, but here's some of the things I learned leading up to the LSAT that helped me work towards my goal score!

1. 1. Take advantage of free resources

If you look up LSAT study courses, one thing you're bound to notice is that they can be crazy expensive. And sure, paying for them can be worth it if your LSAT score gets you scholarship money, but why not start with the free resources and see how far you can get. Khan Academy's study program was very helpful for me both in getting used to taking the LSAT on a screen and organizing my study time. LSAC also offers a few free practice tests, so be sure to check them out!

2. 2. Schedule your time wisely

You've likely heard you need to leave months to study for the LSAT, but I found what was most important for me was considering how many hours you're actually leaving to study. If you have a month to devote solely to studying, this will likely affect your score more than a month of studying a few hours a week would. Be honest with yourself about how often you have time to study, and plan accordingly. 

3. 3. Study intentionally

Answering every question in a study book front to back might not be the most efficient way to learn new concepts. Look at what you're consistently getting wrong and focus in on the areas that are tripping you up!

4. 4. Focus!

For me, I found the best way to ensure I was actually doing my work was to turn my wifi off and leaving my phone in another room. It's easy to be tempted to check your texts mid-practice test, but pausing the clock or letting your timer run ou makes the practice you're getting a little less realistic. 

5. 5. Don't burn yourself out

Exhausting will make it harder to think clearly, so even while you might feel like pushing yourself to stay up and practice a bit more, it may not be worth the lack of sleep. Also, do your best to keep eating well, drinking water, getting exercise and spending time outdoors. Take care of yourself, and you'll be crossing that finish line of acing your LSAT before you know it. 

Hopefully, some of these tips can help you as you prepare for the LSAT and manage your other time commitments while doing it. Best of luck!