nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everyday Relaxation Guide To Cope With College Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UL chapter.

We all lead very busy lives, making it difficult for us not to be stressed or anxious. Keeping busy is not a negative thing. It is brilliant to be productive, carry out errands, and work towards your goals. However, being constantly busy and always having a list of tasks to get done can lead to a lot of stress. It is easy to get bogged down by a lengthy to-do list and begin to feel overwhelmed with work. In this case, it is vital to revisit that dreaded to-do list and simply add “Relax” to the very top of it. This is a lot easier said than done so I have compiled a few tips to help you in this process:

1. Take time.

The first and most difficult part of the relaxation process is allowing yourself to take time to relax. It is of utmost importance to designate a period of time where you can forget all of the things that you need to do and clear your head. Of course, you should pick a time that best suits you and your schedule, however, my advice is to devote some time in the morning and some time in the evening to relaxation. Relaxing in the morning time is particularly effective as it sets you up for the busy day ahead. If you can clear your head at the beginning of the day, all of the tasks you need to do will become much easier and you can create a clear plan or schedule for yourself. It also means you can enjoy a less-stress filled day. Relaxing in the evening time, perhaps right before bed, is also a great idea, particularly if you struggle to switch off your mind to sleep.

1. Create the perfect setting.

Setting the scene for relaxing is another important part of the process. Choose a place that you feel most comfortable and calm in. This could be your bedroom, a sitting room, or even your car. Avoid offices or rooms with a lot of clutter; you want to de-clutter your mind and messy rooms will not help this. Having somewhere to lie down is a good idea. This doesn’t have to limit you to a bedroom, you could use a couch or a mat on the floor; find what is comfortable for you. Cushions and soft blankets to lie down on may also suit you. Remember, you’re trying to be as comfortable as possible.

1. Atmosphere.

Next, what you need is a bit of ambiance. This is my favourite part! Candles and incense are, personally, a vital aspect to the relaxation process. Low lights also serve as a great way to create some atmosphere. Turn off the main ceiling light and instead use a lamp or some fairy lights with a warm yellow glow. This along with some candles can go a very long way!

1. The actual relaxation process.

Now that you’ve set aside some time, found a comfortable space and created a relaxing atmosphere, it is time to actually relax. Guided meditations are a wonderful way to help clear your mind. CD’s can be bought in shops or conveniently, there are plenty of guided meditations available online. Simply search “guided meditation” on YouTube to find an abundance of videos for you to try. If guided meditation isn’t your thing, try put on a calming soundtrack in the background as you carry out some breathing exercises. There are plenty of soundtracks available online with sounds of waves crashing or rain falling-do some experimenting and find what works for you. As for breathing exercises, a great technique is to sit upright with your feet on the floor, breathe in for four seconds, hold for three seconds, and breathe out for five seconds, and continue doing this for as long as you need. This is brilliant to have practiced as it is something you can do in any stressful situation, not just during your relaxation time.

Those are four simple tips to help you relax. Remember, it is completely normal to feel stressed or anxious, but don’t let it overwhelm you. Help yourself by recognising your stress and taking the time to relax on a regular basis-ideally every day.

Official Contributor for HCUL
University of Limerick Chapter Correspondent. Studying Journalism and New Media.