burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Is Modest Apparel Lacking in Fast Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Why isn’t modest fashion more hyped?

WTF is wrong with FAST FASHION and targeting their market audience?

I am officially speaking out- call it a vocal protest. I can no longer tolerate fast fashion companies such as H&M and Forever21. Why may you ask? Like many millennials I shop there. I have been very loyal since the foundation of my personal fashion choices- and I am considered their target audience. SO WHY ARE FAST FASHION COMPANIES STRUGGLING TO ADOPT MODEST APPAREL????

In 2017 it took fashion companies forever to be brave and add plus sizes. Many young Hijabista’s like myself in the muslim community struggle to keep up with the unmodest trends.

I find it annoying to buy jackets, coats and other products from my favorite fast fashion retailer but never a top or non-demolished jeans that are available to all year round. We are NOT a seasonal trend. It’s offensive to not shop to your convenience.  

During the holiday seasons, Forever21 and H&M had long sleeve ribbed and mock neck shirts, but they can never keep them in stock. They are always sold out. Even my roommate bought four different colored long sleeve shirts. We are only asking for line extension of an existing commodity. We too would like to maintain an existing trend for target audience.

I find it odd and funny, because Forever21 and H&M have locations in predominantly Muslim nations, such as UAE, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, and yet, they lack to keep up with the needs of those consumers. Fast fashion companies should be offering modest apparel fashion. A report by Reuters estimated that Muslim consumers spent $266 billion on clothing and footwear in 2013, and expects this consumer group to account for a majority of the global fashion market by 2019.

Modest apparel trends never go out of style. The concept of dressing modest and looking beautiful fits all. Companies are currently following through with eco-friendly and sustainable line but lacking to keep with their modest community. Many young Muslim bloggers are forming social media marketing strategies through fans and hashtags to stir up hype. Nora Afia has become to first Muslim hijabi Brand Ambassador for Cover Girl.

During the winter seasons, fast fashion companies offer long sleeves turtlenecks, bodycon shirts and random tops- BUT that’s it. This means I am forced to shop at online modest boutiques. I would love to have the same advantage of many other women and shop all the time to my comfort. When I argue and demand the additional modest apparel line I do not ask of them to act temporarily, or just for a simple recognition through a collaboration with a blogger. I would like it to be permanent. The trends can simply be modified and be applied for the Muslim and non-Muslim community.

You can be sexy and be modest.  You define modesty.

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.