What It’s Really Like To Live With Your Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Carrie Bradshaw once said, “I used to think those people who sat alone at Starbucks writing on their laptops were pretentious posers. Now I know, they are people who have recently moved in with someone”. Since I recently moved in with my boyfriend, I finally understand what she meant.

I remember telling myself I would never live with a boyfriend. Although I’m not an only child I have always loved being alone.  I loved my one bedroom apartment so much that I couldn’t imagine anything (or anyone) that could tear me away.

But then I met someone who did.

If you would have told me a year ago that I would have loved living with a boyfriend, I would have called you a stinking liar. But now, I’d call you right.

Here’s why:

1)You Get to Wake Up Next To Them Every Morning.

You finally learn to get over their morning breath and start loving the way their bedhead looks. Also, they motivate you to get up out of bed even when there’s blizzard outside and give you forehead kisses before they leave..

2) Your Boyfriend Becomes Your Own Personal Handyman and Exterminator

I can’t tell you how many times the words, “Lochlann, there’s a spider! Can you get it?” has come out of my mouth. Also when I lived alone, if something stopped working or broke, I’d tell myself, “Oh well, I guess I’ll never have one of those anymore!” Now that I moved in with my boyfriend, he fixes it! If one of you doesn’t know how to solve or fix something, the other might.

3) You Are Now Only 50% Responsible For Burning The Place Down

If I had a penny for every time I thought I left a candle, my hair straightener or the stove on, I wouldn’t be writing for Her Campus right now, I’d be too busy counting my dollar bills. It’s almost every day. It’s an irrational fear but if my rational side can tell my irrational side, “Don’t worry Meltem, your boyfriend will turn that off,” then I can finally stop freaking out about it.

4) You Don’t Have To Call Your Super When You Forget Your Keys

“Mon amoour? :)” you text your boyfriend, who immediately knows you’re coming.

5) Every Night Is Fun

Even if you didn’t have any plans, you are plan-less with someone, that doesn’t make you planless anymore.

6) You Don’t Have To Leave To Go Home.

Because you already are home.

7)You Get to Know Your Partner So, So Well

I know my boyfriend pretty well by now, and I must say, he is way nicer than I am, he gets up at 6 AM every Saturday to watch European Football wearing his Paris Saint Germain jersey. 

8) Nexflix and Ssh…

Actually it means Netflix and chill. Do you want to spend a Saturday watching your favorite TV show? Your boyfriend will be right beside you. You get to discover new shows to watch together. You might also “chill” during your session.

9) You Will Still Have Your ME Time.

You can get that alone time when they have work or class or you can just be in separate rooms. Having me time is a must, especially if you live together because you might get sick of each other for a day.

10) “I Think We’re Just Gonna Go Home.”

Couples that live together always get yelled at for going home early instead of staying out partying until 4 AM. But I’m going to give you a little secret…we go home early to have sex. We honestly DON’T CARE AT ALL if you ever try to make us feel like losers. 

Living with your bae is more than just “playing house.” It is a big commitment and a continual learning experience. I’m not an expert yet, but I’m getting there. I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to live with my boyfriend because, like they say, you don’t really know someone until you live with them. And to my boyfriend, thanks for being the best roommate that I’ve ever had!

Meltem Sögök is a graduate student at LIM College where she is pursuing a degree in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management. When she is not writing she can be found watching Netflix or adoring puppies at Central Park. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Meltem also interns for Max Mara USA at buying department.
Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.