Meet Meltem Sögök

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Name: Meltem Sögök

Class Year: Class of 2017

Hometown: Istanbul, Turkey

Major: Fashion Merchandising & Retail Management (FMRM)

Job/Internship: Buying Intern at Max Mara Fashion Group

Extracurricular activities: National Retail Federation Student Association, Cosmetics Club and Writer for LIM College’s Her Campus Chapter

Why did you choose LIM to complete your graduate degree?: 

As I studied Public Relations and Media in my undergrad, LIM was the best option for me because the program was designed to teach career changers about fashion industry. I always knew I wanted to get involved in fashion and the business side of fashion was more appealing to me than design. I was looking for a graduate school that focuses on both fashion and business. Also living in New York City has always been my dream since I was a little girl.

As an international student, what was it like to move from Turkey to attend school in New York City?

I lived in England and Germany by myself, so moving to a different country wasn’t difficult for me. I visited New York 3 times before I moved and I was already familiar with the city. Also, LIM had a great orientation program and everyone was so welcoming which helped me to adapt quickly because I felt like I was a part of the community. What I liked most about attending a school in New York City is that I made a lot of amazing friends from different cultures and it improved my intellectual knowledge.  

You’re a Buying Intern at Max Mara, can you tell us about how you landed such an amazing internship?

I found my internship through LIM College, on Symplicity. It’s a great website for those who are seeking an internship.

I’d love to hear more about your experience at Max Mara. What is a normal day like for you?

Max Mara is a great company to work for and I’m learning every single day. It’s an extremely fast-paced environment. Every Monday I assist and check orders on Bloomingdales.com. I also assist with selling reports and Ad hoc analysis projects. I make recommendations for transfers and reorders in season and create newsletters for stores focusing on best and worst sellers.

You have your hands in so much! Any tips on how to balance work, school and your internship ?

I just don’t go out on weekends. I’m kidding! I have a planner and I know it sounds cheesy but it helps to keep me on track.

Do you have any advice for prospective students?

Take advantage of all the resources that LIM has to offer. There are seminars, career fairs and so many different events that are going on every week. Networking is the key and if you have any questions, just go to EECM. They are extremely helpful with resumes and interview tips. Try to get involved with different clubs at LIM College. You will learn a lot about yourself and also it will look good on your resume.

What’s next for you?

My goal is to stay in the city and find an entry-level job as an assistant buyer.

Meltem Sögök is a graduate student at LIM College where she is pursuing a degree in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management. When she is not writing she can be found watching Netflix or adoring puppies at Central Park. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Meltem also interns for Max Mara USA at buying department.
Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.