DIY: How To Design Your Own Vanity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

How many of you have seen those makeshift vanities on Pinterest?  Well I have been obsessing over them recently and decided to make my own!  Below are some steps I took to create the perfect vanity!

Step one: Get a Desk!  This sometimes can be easier said than done, but it’s the first step to creating that homemade vanity! There are also so many to choose from which can make it difficult.  I went with the Micke writing desk in brown/black from IKEA and it wasn’t that difficult to put together either.

I was trying to go for a classic look to match the theme of my room so finding the right desk was critical.  You’re making a purchase for something you want to be both practical and decorative, so if you do not find one that calls to you, keep looking! It’s out there somewhere.

Step Two: Find a mirror that fits the theme you are going for.  I wanted my space to be classic chic so the mirror I went with was a nice off-white one from Home Goods.  For $20 it is huge and adds a classic feel to the space.  Here is a similar mirror from Kohls!

Home Goods is, hands down, the best place to find a mirror.  Not only are they less expensive, but there usually is not many of them which helps add a uniqueness to your find. Another suggestion if you cannot find a mirror that fits, is to create your own.  All you need is a picture frame that you are in love with and a flat mirror. Easy!

Step Three: Organize your drawers.  Now whether you have a lot of make-up or not, origination is key.  You don’t want to open the drawer and have to go fishing for your eyeliner.  You can find organization trays all over the place, but Ikea seems to be the most inexpensive.

Step Four: Add Table Decor.  I decided that some of my makeup (like my brushes) I wanted sitting on top of the desk to give it more of a vanity feel.  Here is what I chose to decorate with:

Faux flower vase (Homegoods) ELF brush holder Drink Wine, Save Animals, Take Naps

Step Five: Choose Great Lighting. Now lighting can coincide with the mirror if you want.  They sell some pretty cute ones on Etsy, but if you’re not about spending too much on a mirror light check out some cute alternatives from IKEA that would work great!

Step Six: Decorate the wall.  Now this is super important! If you’re going to be sitting at your vanity every day you need something else to stare at besides yourself! A framed fashion drawing is the perfect addition!

This one happens to be one I personally drew and will soon be offer on my etsy shop.

Framed shopping bags are also great décor pieces.  If you don’t shop much at high end designer stores, you may want to keep them so why not frame it to add some extra character.  

Step Seven: You are going to want some shelves!  Shelves add some extra pizazz to your wall.  They no longer need to be filled with just memories, but instead can be a mix of pictures and beauty products.  Target has some great shelves that you can stager on the wall.  My suggestion would be to put one above some artwork, and the second lower.  You can use the higher shelf for your memories and the lower one can be used for your favorite perfumes! Just make sure they stay out of direct sunlight.

Step Eight: Fine the Perfect Chair to tie it all together!  Chairs can be the second hardest part, besides the desk.  There are some amazing places out there for the perfect chair.  I just learned about Joss & Main, a wayfair powered ecommerce site for home goods.  They have some very cute chairs and the prices don’t hurt either.  If you are the type of person who needs to physically see the chair first, I suggest stopping into home goods every few weeks until you find the chair that best compliments your space!

Here is my DIY Vanity!  It still needs some wall pieces and a chair, but it still fits my theme.

Hey Everyone! My names Nichole and I'm currently a part-time grad student at LIM College in NYC working towards my masters in Fashion Marketing.  I have previously attended West Virginia University graduating with my undergrad in Fashion Design and Merchandising.  Being from Central Connecticut, I had no thrill to spend 4 years in college near home, therefore crossing Parsons, FIT and RISD off my list of schools to attend.  Unltimatly I chose WVU with my passion of wanting to attend UCONN but they did not have a fashion program.  I have loved fashion since I was young and knew what I wanted to do since middle school.  My love of art at a young age helped expand my love of fashion into a love of fashion illustration and has allowed me to sell artwork on Society6 under the name Nic's Nacks.  My dream is to one day own my own company/brand, but until then I am going along with wherever life takes me.  You can catch me on here writing about personal struggles/experiences along with Fashion.  Hopefully I can inspire you! xoxo Nichole 
Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.