CulturalLehigh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

When most Lehigh students think of culture, the South Side is not what comes to mind. More likely New York City, Washington D.C., or even the North Side pops into our heads before Lehigh’s side of the river. But the South Side has a lot more to offer than what meets the eye, specifically when it comes to food. Of course there are the tried and true student favorites of Sal’s and Molly’s, but far more diverse options are also available. Here are three South Side restaurants every Lehigh Student needs to try.

1. The Olive Branch
With delicious traditional Mediterranean cuisine, and something on the menu for everyone, this restaurant is one of my new favorite places to eat. They serve a special lunch menu available from 11am-2pm, with appetizers and entrees always available. When I ate there the other day, everything I had was delicious, but above all, you must try the baklava. This perfect blend of phyllo pastry, nuts, and honey, with its melt-in-your-mouth consistency is the perfect ending to any meal. And with the average entry costing about $12, it is definitely affordable on a college budget.

2. Nawab
Most of us, if not all, have heard tell of Nawab, with its excellent variety of Indian food.   But I would hazard a guess that far fewer of us have actually endeavored to taste what exactly this restaurant has to offer. With a $9.95 lunch buffet you get to try interesting foods you may never have dared to taste before and you get an amazing price to boot.

3. Horns
This organic-focused, vegan-friendly restaurant definitely has a hipster ambiance to it, but this earthy (and relatively new) eatery is a great change of pace after a week of dining at Rathbone or Cort.  Head chef Natalie Hyczko stated “I try to do comfort food with an edge and a little bit of sophistication.”(lehighvalleylive.com). If you still aren’t sold on Horns, there is an added bonus, they compost!

So next time you need to spice up your evening with some new, delectable fare, don’t look any farther than your own backyard. Bethlehem’s South Side has plenty to offer, take advantage of it.