Bad Reputations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Bad Reputations

All right, so you go to Lehigh. Chances are, in high school, you were kind of a nerd. I mean that’s just what you get when the admissions website literally reads, “Lehigh is among the most selective, highly ranked private research universities in the U.S.”
But, now that you’re at college, there are those naughty temptations, those underlying urges that you truly cannot resist. We understand, it is your chance to break free of the nerd stereotype and become the one thing you never thought possible…a BADASS!
Unfortunately, as much as we crave bad reputations, they don’t exactly fly at Lehigh. Here are some names you don’t want to make for yourself while at college.

Class Clown
Sure, your peers may love the condescending remarks and sarcastic comments made during class, but I will tell you one person who will not be too thrilled—your professor. When those last days of the semester roll around and you are fighting to raise that 89% to an A, your professor will not change the grade if you were a regular disruption to class.

That Kid Who’s Always Asleep
Continually sleeping during class is really just pointless. First, I can tell you one thing, a bed is much comfier than a desk, but more importantly, if you don’t pay attention in class your grade will suffer. Get a coffee and stay awake, because missing even a day of notes can put you behind in class.

The Campus Bicycle
Everyone gets a ride! There is nothing worse than appearing easy to frat boys. Building a reputation for sleeping around makes it hard for anyone to take you seriously. The logic is simple; boys will not date a girl who has hooked up with four of his best friends. Lehigh is a small campus and rumors do spread, so be smart, respect yourself and avoid this reputation.

The Human Garbage Disposal
The life of a college student includes all you can eat dining halls that are open virtually all hours of the day. The amount of fried food you can consume at college is endless, but gaining the freshman fifteen is also a scary reality. So, don’t be the girl that will eat anything and everything at the dining hall. A big part of adjusting to the college is figuring out how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Make a habit of going to the gym or trying to limit yourself at the dining hall. As wonderful as late night hawks nest sounds, the weight gain after is not so pretty.

Drunkest Girl at the Party
There are really no benefits from being the blackout queen. Letting loose and having fun on the weekend is one thing, but being known as the the drunkest girl at the party is a bad reputation to carry. Where is the fun in not remembering your night? Is it enjoyable to question how you got home last night? What if you do something you really regret? If you are going to continually drink too much, there is a price to pay. And I will promise you one thing; a party is still just as fun when you are under control.

So embrace the nerd, Lehigh students! There is nothing wrong with enjoying your classes and having a great time at college. So screw the badass mentality and build up a good reputation these next four, unforgettable years.