Success For Women’s Lacrosse Against Rivals Leeds Met

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The Leeds University Women’s Lacrosse first team triumphed spectacularly against rivals Leeds Met in the competitive Varsity match held on Wednesday 3rd October.

Having experienced a disappointing loss last year, it was clear that the Women’s Lacrosse team were determined to be victorious this time around and played a focused and incredibly impressive game. Their evident drive wasn’t in vain as the final result was a convincing win for Uni at 21-4.

The match, with was held on the Weetwood pitches, boasted a large number of Uni supporters. Spectator Pippa Adams said “There is such a great atmosphere. It feels good to be on home ground”.

Uni clearly meant business from the start, with Jess Puntan, the lead goal scorer, setting the bar high for the game by scoring the first goal within minutes of the game beginning. After such a strong start, Uni were unstoppable (causing Met to call a worried time-out)and by half time Uni were ahead by 12 goals to 1.

Although Met fought hard to make a comeback in the second half, Uni had the vast majority of possession, and it was evident to all watching the game that there was no stopping them!

Dan Hill, the first team captain, expressed her delight at the win, after the game:
“I’m really proud of everyone. All our hard training has paid off; now we just need to work on our fitness! It’s such a good start for the season and I really think we have a good chance of being promoted this year to the Northern Premier”.

Congratulations to man of the match Cecily Melsom, for her skilful goals and midfield work, and to all the other team players, for a spectacular victory!

If you are interested in joining the University of Leeds Woman’s Lacrosse Team, which welcomes all ranges of abilities (you do not need any previous experience in lacrosse) then either visit the Facebook page by searching “Leeds University Women’s Lacrosse”
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=65721320117&ref=ts

or buy a membership at http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/clubsandsocieties/sports/womenslacrosse/