Plight of The Single Girl- Girly Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

I appreciate a guy who takes some time with his appearance. I think most girls like a guy who at least tries. I have a feeling that we are all a little tired of being the only ones to take time picking out an outfit, doing our make-up and making sure that our clothes actually match. I love it when a guy looks nice, not just when he’s dressed up but on an everyday basis. However, there is a very fine line between well groomed and Ryan Seacrest. It can just be a turnoff when a guy is more into how he looks than, I am. It comes off as self-centered. It may be a double standard but I think that most girls can agree with me on this one. How does a guy know he’s crossed that fine line? Is Sephora the only place that he can find his shampoo? He’s gone too far. Is his shirt pressed? He’s fine. Does he have highlights? He’s gone too far. Is he wearing a shirt with a collar? Thank him for putting in some effort. Does he get mani-pedis? Way too far. Does he use product in his hair? Great, as long as he didn’t take longer on his hair than you. Does he get manscaped? Ehh, gray area. See, manscaping can go both ways. I totally approve of a guy who makes sure that he doesn’t have a unibrow, but getting other things waxed is tricky. I am all for men understanding the pain that women go through for beauty but I’m not sure how I feel about them waxing. It’s one of those things I don’t know if I want to know about. I have a strict “don’t ask, don’t tell,” policy on that one. A couple months ago, I was getting my nails done and a guy came into the salon. I didn’t judge — at least I tried not to and I did keep my opinions to myself. The only thing, that really bothered me was the fact that this guy was more of a prima donna than anyone else in the salon. He had opinions about everything and not just about his own nails. He wanted to but into every conversation in the salon and tell each customer how their nails should look. He said, and I can’t make this up, “I’m doing you a favor, I’m a guy and if you wear that nail polish you’ll look like a slut.” On second thought — maybe my opinions on metrosexuals are formed off of one jerk who ruined my nail appointment…

Coffee addict, obsessive Mets fan, movie geek, shoe collector, Hypochondriac, fan of all things Tiffany, closet comic book geek (well, not anymore...), member of Political Science Academy, CMM Club, and Future Cat Ladies of America (which may or may not be a real club).