Plight of the Single Girl #3- Pick Up Lines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

We all know the cliché pickup lines, like the ones equivalent to “Hey baby, what’s your sign?”  In my view, the really bad ones are actually the ones that don’t get talked about as much.  These are the ones that can’t even be laughed at and repeated over and over again.  In fact, sometimes those can be effective if it is clear that the guy is using them as a joke.  It’s the guys who don’t realize how ignorant that they sound, that are the real offenders of bad pickup lines.

I always think back to the time I went to a Mets game.  I am a diehard Mets fan and when I go to a game I dress the part.  While sitting and trying to enjoy the game, the guy next to me smiled — thinking he was super smooth, said:  “So are you a Mets fan?  We have a lot in common.”  How does one react to that statement? 

I mean, really?  I am at a game in full fan gear.  I responded (maybe not too kindly) with a “Yeah that would be a good guess because I’m not wearing a jersey or anything.  Buddy, chances are every woman in this stadium is a Mets fan.”  Perhaps there are nicer ways of handling incompetent flirts.

At my old gym, the guy who worked the desk was a bit of a creep.  First off, he liked to watch women while they were on the treadmill (seriously uncalled for).  What really got to me was how he acted as I signed in and out of the gym.  There was one time that he was really obnoxious.  He started off by asking me what book I was reading and how I liked it, etc.  Totally normal conversation.  Then it took a really weird turn.  He said, “Hey maybe we can read it together some time.”  What is that?  I conjure up some sort of Jane Austen scenario, where we are reading aloud to each other.  What kind of come on is that?  By the way, at the time I was reading a Meg Cabot chick lit that is not meant to be read aloud — under any circumstance.

I understand that it must be nerve racking to approach a girl.  I have a very difficult time getting up the courage to approach a cute guy.  I understand that there is dignity on the line but sometimes I really wonder what these guys are thinking.  There is a time and place for every line.  Actually, there is no place for some lines.  (“Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only ten I see!” is one that should just die and never come back.)   

Coffee addict, obsessive Mets fan, movie geek, shoe collector, Hypochondriac, fan of all things Tiffany, closet comic book geek (well, not anymore...), member of Political Science Academy, CMM Club, and Future Cat Ladies of America (which may or may not be a real club).