Awesome Indie Movies on Netflix!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Let’s face it, sometimes Netflix can be overwhelming. When I’m in the mood to watch a great movie that I haven’t seen before, I head on over to the streaming site since there’s so much to choose from. But often, I find myself thinking either “I can’t choose” or “there’s nothing good on here”. Recently though, the endless scrolling led me to find some really cool indie films that I think you’ll enjoy!

1. Life Partners (Leighton Meester, Gillian Jacobs, Adam Brody) 

– This movie is the most recent one I’ve watched on Netflix. I absolutley loved this! Life Partners is about a pair of gay and straight best friends, (Meester and Jacobs), who are basically conjoined at the hip. When one of them begins to develop a serious relationship, it leaves the friendship in a weird place. 

2. In A World… (Lake Bell, Demetri Martin, Ken Marino) 

– Lake Bell stars in the film she wrote and directed herself, about a woman who dreams of stepping out of her father’s shadow. The film is unique because it shines a light on a part of the movie industry that isn’t heavily acknowledged. Lake Bell is hilarious, hot, and totally relatable!

3. Copenhagen (Gethin Anthony, Frederikke Dahl Hansen) 

– This movie isn’t perfect, but there’s something about it that I love. Maybe because it’s set in one of my favorite cities, or maybe because the storyline is completley crazy. The main character (Anthony) is on a mission to find his grandfather when he meets a girl that will change his life.

4. Dog Pound (Adam Butcher, Shane Kippel, Mateo Morales) 

– I haven’t seen this one yet, but it’s next on my watchlist! It looks intense, and stars one of my fave Degrassi alums, Shane Kippel, aka “Spinner Mason”. Dog Pound is critically acclaimed and won Best Director at the Tribeca Film Festival!

5. Charlie Countryman (Shia LaBeouf, Evan Rachel Wood, Mads Mikkelsen 

The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman is one of my favorite movies of all time. Shia is probably the greatest actor of our generation, and his performance in this film is exhilarating, emotional, and just flat out perfect, I LOVE THIS MOVIE. AND SHIA. 

Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.