Top Ten Feel Good Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

Bad days. Whether you’re a 50-year-old business executive or a young kindergarten teacher, we all have those days when we’d rather crawl into bed and bury our heads under the covers. When life gets you down, one of the most effective ways to lift your low spirits is to put on your headphones or to crank up the volume on your speakers. Having a good day? What better way to express your cheerful mood by singing along with one of your favorite feel good songs!

The following are some songs that are sure to lift your spirits the next time you’re upset about a fight with your boyfriend or a low exam grade. Happy listening!

10. “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen. Nothing will give you the feeling of invincibility more than this Queen classic. Freddie Mercury’s distinct voice announcing to the world “I feel ali-i-i-ive” and chanting “Don’t stop me now ‘case I’m having a good time” will give you new meaning to “carpe diem.” This song is truly inspiring and will make your troubles melt away, focusing instead on how you can take control of your life and accomplish absolutely anything (“like a tiger defying the laws of gravity”).

9. “Just Dance” by Lady Gaga. While this song appears to endorse irresponsible alcohol consumption and promiscuity, Lady Gaga’s “just dance, gonna be okay” refrain certainly rings true. This catchy beat encourages you to let your hair down and lose yourself (and your troubles) on the dance floor. If you like “Just Dance,” be sure to also check out “Bad Romance,” “Poker Face,” and “Paparazzi.”

8. “I Want to Hold Your Hand” by The Beatles. You can’t help but smile when hearing the boyish and carefree rendition of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” by The Beatles in their early days. The list of upbeat Beatles songs goes on and on, including but not limited to “Ob-la-di Ob-la-da,” “She Loves You,” “Here Comes the Sun,” “Hey Jude,” and “A Hard Day’s Night.”

7. “Come on Eileen” by Dexy’s Midnight Runners. Starting with a simple Celtic reel on fiddle, the song then develops with an uplifting bass beat with help from piano and the lead vocals of Kevin Rowland. This 1982 hit single has a happy-go-lucky, nostalgic feeling to it that also portrays yearning for intimacy with Eileen with modulations throughout the song.

6. “I Get Around” by the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys have a certain innocent, youthful quality to their music similar to the early Beatles that makes you want to dance around and hit the town with your friends cruising in your car. If you like “I Get Around,” you’ll be interested in other upbeat Beach Boys songs such as “Good Vibrations,” “Surfin’ U.S.A.,” and “Fun, Fun, Fun.”

5. “I’m Into Something Good” by Herman’s Hermits. Get yourself into something good with this famous cover by Herman’s Hermits that perfectly reflects the rush of ecstasy you experience after meeting someone special for the first time. If you’re suffering from heartbreak, then Herman’s Hermits’ “No Milk Today” may feel more appropriate and still has a tempo that moves forward despite the pain behind the lyrics. 4. “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves. In case the name of this song isn’t any indication, “Walking on Sunshine” is one of the most upbeat, cheery, and (dare and I say) sunny songs I know. This song will make you want to jump across rooftops making giddy declarations of your happiness!

3. “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” by The Darkness. While you may want to avoid this song if you’re upset about festering wounds from a recent breakup, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” has an upbeat rock ‘n’ roll sound that promotes love. There are some awesome guitar riffs and solos, as well as the repeating sexy lyrics “touching you, touching me, touching you, God, you’re touching me.”
2. “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong. This beautiful, classic feel good song reminds us just how wonderful the world truly is. On the worst of days, look around you and observe “trees of green,” “skies of blue,” and “clouds of white,” which are just a few of the colorful markers of life’s beauty.

1. “Beautiful Day” by U2. In the same vein of Louis Armstrong’s observations about a wonderful world, Bono sings his soul out about realizing everyday beauty and warns us not to let it slip by (“Don’t let it get away”). So, “See China right in front of you.” Look around you and you will find beauty and happiness. Happy finals! 

Photo Credit:
http://static.igossip.com/photos/showbiznews_Music_3672_Lady_GaGa_The_Fa…
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61P5M3W36NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.mindfullofenglish.com/images/stories/Music_Videos/U2-Beautifu…