The Joys of Shopping Local at the Brantford Farmers’ Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

The joys of living on your own while at university are endless. You don’t have a curfew, you can stay up as late as you want (or sleep in as much as you want), you can take a whole day to watch Netflix, you can go out with friends whenever you feel like it, and you go to class (or not; it’s your choice).

Living on your own is a very easy lifestyle to get used to until it’s time to eat. On one hand, sure, you can order SkipTheDishes or UberEats, which have great selections, but that costs you. When the tally adds up, especially as a financially-struggling student, that option is not always the best. Personally, I’m a fan of biweekly shopping trips, especially when I watch as many food videos as I do. Not only is the grocery store a great place, but the local farmers’ market is just as wonderful, if not better.

The Brantford Farmers’ Market, which is located at 79 Icomm Drive, is just a short walk from campus. Established since 1848, the farmers’ market has been serving the community for 170 years. The market is open all year around on Fridays from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 2p.m. So, there is plenty of time for students to check it out. Local vendors make up 49 different stalls offering a selection of fresh fruits, veggies, meat, deli-cuts, (amazing) cheeses, homemade bakery items, and much more. Some of these local vendors are: Brantwood Farms, Giles Meat and my personal favourite: Herbs & Things.

One thing I love about the farmers’ market is knowing where the food comes from. There is nothing better than supporting local vendors, getting to know them and their products, and having fresh produce in your own fridge.

One thing that is important to note is to bring change. Some vendors do accept debit, but it is mostly cash only. But that’s part of the fun of a farmer’s market, and the exchange and bartering of getting a deal makes it worth going.

One famous vendor is Dan the Mushroom Man, who, contrary to his name, does not just sell mushrooms! He is a very personable, friendly, and talkative guy and he remembers his customers and new faces as well. This brings a friendlier and welcoming atmosphere that will make you want to go back.

The cozy feel, chatty atmosphere and friendly vendors make the weekly trip totally worth it. Go out and support the local businesses, try something new and enjoy the experience!

Madeline Skalic

Laurier Brantford '19

hi