Life > Experiences

Thankful for our fellow HerCampus Chapters… Cassie Smith from Holy Cross

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I had the pleasure of interviewing the wonderful Cassie Smith for our Thanksgiving “Thankful for our Fellow HerCampus Chapters” Week Collaboration. Even though we were meeting through zoom, I felt immediately comfortable and I was laughing minutes into our conversation. Cassie is a Junior at Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. HerCampus at Holy Cross recently had a revival. Cassie Smith is the president of the chapter as she leads and supports the thirty-five members involved. Over our conversation, I asked Cassie a few questions, so here they are along with her lovely answers:

Why are you thankful for HerCampus?

I’m thankful for HerCampus because it gives me an outlet to be able to write, which is something that I love to do. I’m super passionate about bringing female voices into the media and HerCampus is a great space for young women to, you know, write about things they are passionate about or just get involved in something that kind of embodies the idea of female leadership and female involvement and just like the world around us. It’s also allowed me to become friends with so many more people and kind of get more involved on campus. 

What is your favorite Thanksgiving Food

I’m honestly a big pumpkin pie girl. I have a huge sweet tooth. Last year I made pumpkin pie from scratch for the first time. I love to bake. I’m a stress baker. During quarantine that’s like all I did! 

What is your favorite article you have written for HerCampus?

I wrote about the importance of spreading awareness about the normalization of disordered eating on college campuses.

*The article is called “One Bite One Kill You (But It Might)”. It might be my favorite HerCampus article I have ever read. It is so powerful and such an important message for all college-aged women to know. I highly recommend you read it. 

What skills have you gained from HerCampus?

Generally, like in my entire time, being like a writer and leader the organizational skills. That sounds boring, but I just feel like learning how to run under a deadline and be organized and time manage. I feel like it’s something that I’ve learned when I was a writer, just the importance of meeting a deadline and being able to organize yourself. Being a leader has taught me the importance of not being afraid to be assertive, which I think is something that I always get super self-conscious about.

What is your favorite class you are taking this semester?

I am taking this class for my minor, and it is called Sociology of Television and Media. 

What is your favorite trend at the moment? 

I feel like recently I have been super into the yoga pant trend. *(We both thought of that picture of Emma Chamberlain).  

What made you want to join HerCampus?

I love writing and it’s something that always calms me down, so I feel like having a reason to write rather than just writing for nothing is super valuable for me. Whenever I’m feeling stressed out from work, homework, or something else I’ll just write HerCampus articles. Also, knowing it’s a space where I can just talk or write about anything. 90% of the time people are going to be super supportive of it. They will be supportive of the topic, but also… read my articles and make me feel validated in that sense that people enjoy them, so it is a nice way for people to be involved too. 

I am super thankful for Cassie, as she took time out of her busy day to have a conversation with me. She was so friendly and kind, and the interview made my day! As a first-year college student, I especially valued her answers, knowledge, and experience. Her work with HerCampus is truly amazing and I cannot wait to keep up with her upcoming articles. 

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!