Sharisse Scott-Rawlins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Sharisse Scott-Rawlins, sophomore, is a  design major here at Lasell College.  In addition to being a full time student, she operates her own custom t-shirt design business, Sharisse’s Pieces, and manages to find time to play for the Lasell College Women’s Varsity Volleyball team. To celebrate and commerate such a busy year, some of her pieces will be showcased in the undergraduate fashion show on May 2 here at Lasell.  

I recently sat down with Sharisse to find out how she got interested in design.

HC:  What made you first start designing t-shirts?

SR:  In my freshman year of high school, I was assigned a project on recycling.  My teacher wanted us to be creative and not use a piece of poster board, so I made my project on a t-shirt.  When I presented it to the class, everyone loved it, including my teacher.  From there, I was asked to make t-shirts for people.  

HC:  What goes into the process of designing a t-shirt?

SR:  When someone asks me to design a shirt for them, I try to get a feel for their style.  I sketch out a few ideas for them and once one is picked I buy the supplies for the shirt and start making it.  When people don’t know what they want is when I have to be creative and come up with ideas they might like.  

HC:  How many shirts have you designed so far and what do you usually make shirts for?

SR:  I have made over 500 t-shirts for people.  Mostly a wide variety of custom shirts, but I have also made a lot of shirts for volleyball teams I have been on in the past and Marathon Monday shirts as well.  

HC:  Has being a design major helped you at all in making t-shirts?

SR:  Yes, it has helped me with sketching out ideas as well as designing other garments.  I want to have my own boutique when I am older, selling a mix of designer and hand made clothes. 

If you wish to purchase some of Rawlin’s designs feel free to contact her at: 
Sharisse’s Pieces

PH:  (508) 521-0249

Email:  Sharissesrawlins@yahoo.com

Instagram:  Sharisses_Pieces