This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

With the release of a brand-new prequel novel entitled Midnight Sun, Stephenie Meyers has done it again, and has once more ignited the Twilight craze. 

On October 5th, 2005, Stephenie Meyers released the first of her book series, a novel entitled Twilight. From there, Myers released three more books (New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn) that would finish out this series. Little did she know it would become a pop culture phenomenon, and that later on, each of these books would be turned into movies. Fans would argue for years over whether or not Bella should choose Edward, the vampire, or Jacob, the werewolf. 

It was a book series, and movie series, that was one of the top pop culture events in the late 2000s and early 2010s. And now, in the year 2020, Myers has seemingly done it again and brought back the Twilight craze with the latest of her books in this series, a prequel novel that tells the story known and loved by many, but from Edward’s point of view. 

At this point in time, the original, typically teenage female fandom has now grown up and most are much past their teenage years. However, this didn’t stop them from flocking to their local bookstores, selling out the brand-new novel within a day. Midnight Sun was released on August 4th, 2020, and within one week, one million copies had already been sold. For more information on Midnight Sun’s release, check out this article from the “Hollywood Reporter”. 

If you’re interested in any of Stephenie Meyer’s books, or just want to learn more about the Twilight phenomenon, visit her website.

Let us know in the comments if you’ve ever read the Twilight books or seen the movies, and what you thought of them!

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!