This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

At this point in the year, you’ve definitely been living under a rock if you haven’t heard the hit song “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo. This song broke Spotify’s record for daily streams not once but twice, debuted at number one in Billboard’s Top 100, and has reached number one in numerous countries around the globe. But how did this 18-year-old Disney Channel actress get her start, and how did she rise to fame so quickly? 

Getting Her Start

Rodrigo first appeared on screen in an Old Navy commercial back in 2015. After that, she went on to appear and star in An American Girl: Grace Stirs Up Success, where she played the lead role of Grace Thomas. Her next acting role was on Disney Channel’s Bizaardvark, where she once again played the lead role of Paige Olvera. Most recently, Rodrigo stars on Disney+’s original series High School Musical: The Musical: The Series where she wrote two of the songs that appear on the soundtrack for the show. This was her first step into the world of music, and the songs “All I Want” and “Just For a Moment” quickly became fan-favorites. 

Her Music 

After receiving praise from fans for the music she wrote and co-wrote for High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, Rodrigo wasn’t done creating music. In fact, she wasn’t even close to music, as she has said in interviews that she has loved writing songs and singing since she was a little girl. In 2020, Rodrigo signed with Interscope Records and Geffen Records in order to start releasing music. On January 8th, 2021, she released her first single “Drivers License”, which quickly smashed records and rose to fame across the globe. On April 1st, 2021, she then released her second single “Deja Vu”. 

What’s Next?

With two chart-topping singles and an iHeartRadio Music Awards nomination to her name, Rodrigo has now most recently announced that her first album will be released later this year, on May 21, 2021. The title of the album is Sour, and the promotional pictures she has posted on Instagram have only excited fans more. As of right now, the title, packaging, and setlist for the album have all been released, so fans of Rodrigo are simply left to wait for the actual music to come out. Until then, they’ll have “Drivers License” and “Deja Vu” on repeat. 

Let me know in the comments below what you think about “Drivers License” and “Deja Vu”! Are you excited for the release of Sour (and the many bops that will come along with it), Rodrigo’s first album?

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!