Miley Cyrus’s Exploration of Rock Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

We first met Miley Cyrus when we were kids as the double-life living pop star known as Hannah Montana. We then grew up with Cyrus simultaneously, and as she grew up too she started to release music under her own name, giving us classic summer bops such as “Party in the USA”. Then, her rebellious teenage phase brought us her album Bangerz, with her hit song “We Can’t Stop” and a music video that shocked audiences everywhere. Now, we travel to the present day, where Cyrus has started her exciting exploration of the rock genre.

Cyrus recently popularized her exploration of rock music by covering Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” from 1978. She debuted her cover with a live performance at the 2020 iHeart Music Festival and has since released the song on multiple streaming platforms. While this cover brought her rock exploration to popularity, it’s not the first time she’s covered a famous rock song. Flashback to the 2019 iHeart Music Festival, and you can find Cyrus covering Led Zeppelin’s “Black Dog” from 1971. While these covers are classic rock, Cyrus hasn’t been afraid to explore the rock genre in its entirety and look into alternative rock songs as well. For example, all the way back in 2014, Cyrus covered the Arctic Monkeys “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High”. 

Miley is set to release her newest upcoming album, Plastic Hearts, on November 27th, 2020. It includes her most recently released single, Midnight Sky, as well as two (or maybe more?) covers, both Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and The Cranberries’ “Zombie”. Cyrus has said that this album will contain 12 original songs and will have a rock sound to it. I believe that Cyrus really has a great voice for rock, and I can’t wait to hear her newest album.

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.