How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Valentine’s day is a great way to celebrate with the people that you love, whether you’re spending the day with your boo or having a (covid-safe) Galentines get-together with your best girlfriends. However, all the fun, food, and flowers can end up adding to a pricey total that you might not love. Here are the best ways to still have a fun Valentine’s day without breaking the bank.

As romantic as a candlelit dinner at a fancy Italian restaurant or as fun as a fancy brunch may seem, it’s not necessary for a perfect Valentine’s meal. The cheapest way to emulate this experience is to cook from home. Working together to create a delicious meal and then sharing it together is super romantic. My favorite meal that my boyfriend and I have made together is fettuccine alfredo

Gifts can also rack up a lot of money, but they don’t need to. Skip the diamond heart necklace and fancy watch and put your love into a homemade gift. Here are a couple of low-cost, homemade gift ideas from the heart:

• Playlist Cards: Using index cards, either white or colored, write the name and artist of a song that reminds you of your partner and write your favorite lyric from that song underneath. On the back, write a short message about why that song reminds you of them. Make as many as you want, and attach them together with a carabiner clip or glue them into a little notebook.

• Memory Book: Using different colors of construction paper, attach printed out photos of your favorite memories together. These can be polaroid pictures, film, or you can print out photos using CVS, Walgreens, or Shutterfly. Attach as many pages as you want to a few larger pieces of paper to make a memory book.
Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.