Life > Experiences

Christmas Doesn’t Feel the Same Now as When I Was a Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The season for twinkly lights, holiday decorations, hot cocoa, festive movies, and the constant repeat of Mariah Carey’s song, “All I Want For Christmas”, has arrived. Growing up, the nostalgia and excitement of the winter holiday have been my favorite time of the year due to the comfy vibes, decorations, and of course, the presents! However, now that I’m older, and in college, the same nostalgic holiday feeling just isn’t there anymore. How come?

Over the years, as I grew up, I could feel that holiday feeling starting to dwindle. Then, in my senior year of high school, I could feel how empty I was inside on Christmas day. I mean, yes, I still received presents, but it just wasn’t the same fuzzy warm feeling that I would get as a kid. Growing up in the 2000s was certainly a time to be alive, especially during the holidays because the environment wasn’t as modernized as it is today. For instance, retail stores would be decked out with Christmas decorations, and holiday music would play everywhere, and don’t get me started on the toy aisles. But, today, I feel that many stores are gearing towards the modern look to look aesthetically pleasing for an older audience. The Christmas magic that was termed in many holiday movies, is just not there anymore.

By saying all this, I would give anything to make Christmas feel the same as when I was younger. I even complained about this to other friends of mine and the consensus was the same, we all miss our childhood Christmases. But, don’t get me wrong, this is still one of my favorite holidays, if not my #1! So, how am I enjoying this holiday now that I’m older?

First, to stay in tune with this holiday’s nostalgic feeling, I watch all of my favorite childhood Christmas movies such as the Home Alone movies, the Grinch, and so on. Also, I decorate my dorm room and my room back home, play Christmas music, drink hot cocoa, and do much more holiday-related activities. I also LOVE Christmas in New York, because it is the pinnacle location for holiday vibes. So, I do my best to take a trip there at least once to satisfy my inner child. So in the end, as the great singer Bing Crosby said, “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas”.

Happy Holidays!

Hi! My name is Celeste and I am currently a senior, majoring in Health Science at Lasell University. On campus, I am involved in a variety of clubs such as HerCampus, the Student Government Association as the VP of Academics, the Campus Activities Board, and the Knitting Club. Also, I intern at a health center as a patient resource advocate and I work at the IT Help Desk on my campus. In my spare time, my favorite things to do are read, watch videos or movies, and sit and chat with my friends!