5 Ways to Avoid a Wardrobe Malfunction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Whether you’re running from class to work or attending a function, it is always imperative that you mind your attire.  This is easier said than done seeing that sometimes we bite off more than we can chew with certain ensembles.  If close attention isn’t always paid, then one may succumb to a wardrobe malfunction.  

Clothing defects are sometimes the result of sloppy craftsmanship but can also be the product of stress and exasperation on the part of the person wearing the garment.  Now and then, we get bogged down with our hectic lives and what comes of the newfound stress isn’t always pretty.  Wardrobe malfunctions occur on a scale from a tear in a blouse to public indecency.  This list will provide you with a supply of tactics to combat these unsightly mistakes!

• Ripped clothing can come out of left field and either be harmless or leave you completely exposed.  Either way it’s always a good idea to keep a miniature sewing kit in your purse.  That way, depending on the severity of the rip, you can usually make it through.  In the event that the rip is much too large to stitch up, an extra change of clothing kept in your bag or car is always a great way to prepare for the worst.  
  • Static cling occurs in winter months because things tend to be much more dry than in other seasons.  Therefore it is not uncommon for one’s skirt or dress to cling while out and about.  However, this can be extremely embarrassing when undergarments are exposed.  An easy way to cut down on static electricity is through the use of dryer sheets.  Not only when drying clothing, but kept handy when garments become clingy.  Simply wipe the sheet over the affected area and almost all static cling will release.  
  • Sheer garments or thin materials are always tricky.  On any given day, one could potentially get away with a risqué blouse that lacks material.  However, if that person has a picture taken of them with the flash on, then all bets are off.  The flash on a camera will illuminate the sheerness, completely exposing any undergarments the person may or may not be wearing.  Advice for this would be to always wear some form of support as in a bra or another layer of clothing like a camisole.  
  • Deodorant stains are the physical way of telling the world you were in a rush when you left your home that morning.  However, with the help of this life hack, no one will ever know how much time you over slept.  All you have to do is fold the affected area on top of itself and rub the material together.  This will cause the stain to disappear.  
  • Side boob and nip slips are very common when one is not wearing a bra.  So to avoid such circumstances, always wear a bra.  If a bra is too conspicuous with the garment of choice you can try the stick on cups or “Petals” (pasties). These products will save you from much humiliation.  

With the holidays coming up and plenty of glamorous parties to attend, make sure you keep these tips in mind to save yourself from any wardrobe malfunctions and the worry of having one!