This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Last year, I was stuck in a pretty serious reading slump. I did not read a single book until May, when my friend gave me a great recommendation that reminded me why I loved it. I am a firm believer that everyone is a reader, they just might not have found their book yet. All it took was one recommendation to get me back into the groove of reading. Here is a list of five books that could get you started!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

Mystery

AGGGTM follows high schooler, Pip, who decides to investigate a local murder for her senior project. She enlists the help of Ravi, whose brother would have been charged with the murder had he not turned up dead himself. The pair are trying to prove his innocence before the real killer silences them.

This is the book that got me out of my reading slump. It is a quick read that is easy to follow and get invested in. While this is a part of a trilogy, it can also be read as a standalone. Personally, I did not enjoy the sequels as much as I loved the first book, however, the series has a large following. AGGGTM is an immensely fun read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Sadie by Courtney Summers 

Thriller

After the botched investigation of her sister’s murder, Sadie decides to hunt down the killer herself. Her journey takes her on a winding trail that lands her on the missing persons list. Five months after going missing, she becomes the subject of a hit podcast whose host is desperately trying to find her before it is too late. Sadie is told through alternating chapters following both the perspectives of Sadie on the run and the podcast transcripts. 

Sadie’s two narratives work together perfectly to make the story an interesting and nail-biting read that is hard to put down. You cannot help but root for both Sadie on her quest to avenge her sister and the podcast host on his mission to save Sadie. It is a compelling read through and through. And the ending—heartbreaking and incredible! Sadie is also a dark book that tackles very serious topics and I would recommend looking up content and trigger warnings.

Renegades by Marissa Meyer

Fantasy

Set in a dystopian world full of superpowers, Renegades follows a young supervillain who goes undercover with the Renegades—a group of superheroes who act as both lawmakers and law enforcers—in order to take them down from the inside.

Marissa Meyer knows how to write a complex and immersive universe. She seems particularly interested in the interconnected relationships between superheroes, supervillains, and the public.  It is extremely fascinating to read about how these groups interact. As a big Marvel fan, Renegades feels both familiar and completely original at the same time. The characters are lovable and fans of well done slow burn romances will be especially happy.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han

YA Romance

Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life with the intention of never sending them. One day, all the letters are mysteriously sent, including the one to her sister’s ex-boyfriend. Scrambling to avoid confrontation, Lara Jean agrees to fake-date another letter recipient, Peter, who is attempting to make his ex jealous.

As a fan of the first film, reading the book series was a fun way to learn more about the characters and I found a lot of moments on the page that I would have loved to see on screen. While this book does leave off on a slight cliff hanger, it could be read as a standalone, though I encourage you to read the sequels. My personal favorite is the second novel, To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You (justice for John Ambrose!). Even if you are not a fan of the movies, I would still give TATBILB a try. It is a quick and easy read that is filled with heart.

People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry

Romance

People We Meet On Vacation follows polar-opposite college friends, Poppy and Alex, who took annual trips before having a falling out that left them not on speaking terms. Two years later, Poppy reaches out to take one last trip and he miraculously agrees. Now, Poppy has one last chance to salvage their relationship. The story is told via two alternating timelines, one starting in the present and the other starting twelve summers prior.

Emily Henry has been blowing up online recently, and it is for good reading. I am obsessed with her writing and storytelling. The characters in this book are loveable and extremely easy to root for. People We Meet On Vacation is a great gateway into romance books for people who want to dip their feet into the genre. This book will make you laugh, cry, and fill you with butterflies.

If these books do not interest you, don’t be discouraged! There is a book out there for you! The #BookTok tag on Tik Tok is a great resource when looking for recommendations. Happy reading!

Isabella Gaglione is a Freshman at Lafayette College from Long Island, New York, pursuing a double major in Film & Media Studies and English.