What Earth Day is For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

April 22nd marks the birth of the environmental movement of 1970. 

During the 1970s, Americans were slurping leaded gas through massive V* sedans. There were no legal consequences or bad press against these practices. It wasn’t until Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring book in 1962. This was the beginning of a public awareness and concern for the environment’s health. 

The 1970 Earth Day gave voice to the growing consciousness of taking care of the environment. The idea for national day to focus on the environment came to the Earth Day founder, Gaylord Nelson. The day marked 20 million Americans to take the outside world to represent the beginning of a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies.  

The day marked 20 million Americans to take the outside world to represent the beginning of a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies.  

This day drove the creations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the passage of Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts.

Today, we celebrate with 5,000 environmental groups with the help of social media. As the earth now faces various environmental issues, however, we as individuals on earth should reflect on our actions.

We can all take this day to educate ourselves and better our community, then the world. 

Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com