Anna Schultz-Friends Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Simple Ways to Spread Holiday Cheer This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

With the holidays right around the corner, we’re surrounded by people doing last-minute shopping, hanging icicle lights from their rooftop, or sipping hot chocolate by the fire. Except, not everyone’s holiday experience is filled with good cheer. Even though the holidays are intended to bring out compassion, generosity, and joy, there are those who aren’t so lucky. People around the world are struggling with hardships that are weighing on their shoulders. From poverty, addiction, or loss, the holidays are a constant battle. These are a few ways you lend a helping hand and give back this season. 

Volunteering is an easy, free, and rewarding way to show those in need that people are cheering them on. Hospitals, orphanages, and homeless shelters are three places that will rarely turn down volunteers. In each of these places, there are people who are lonely, sick or just trying to get by. When you go to places like these, volunteers can personally connect and create relationships with them. These relationships can give them much-needed hope and compassion. Being a volunteer is something that takes a little time out of your day to make someone’s holiday.

If time is not something that you’re able to give, donating to places in need is another great way to spread holiday cheer. Donating doesn’t always mean writing a check. For example, children in need at orphanages or hospitals would be overjoyed by stuffed animals, treats, and presents to make their day better. Another thing most homeless shelters need are coats, toiletries, etc. If you’re not sure what you could give, call a place you want to help. They can tell you what donations would be best. If you don’t want to donate directly, Louisiana Tech has multiple organizations that will do drives. Keep an eye out for the holiday drives around campus. 

Spreading holiday cheer isn’t necessarily about the grandest gestures. The smallest actions can sometimes have the biggest impact. During this season of generosity and love, don’t forget about the little things. When you pass someone walking around campus, shoot them a smile! The phrase “Have a good day” and “Good morning” can go much farther than you may think. Maybe, you’ve lost touch with family or friends back home. Reach out to them, to remind them that you love them and are there for them. You never know what someone might be going through, so be kind to everyone around you, even those you may not like. 

Giving back this holiday season can come in different packaging and wrapping, but underneath it’ll end up bringing someone joy. Whether you’re able to provide a smile, peace, or laughter, anyone can help those in need this holiday. Be on the lookout for those who may be struggling, and reach out to them. Creating relationships, sacrificing time, or donating items can all impact someone’s holiday experience. Once you begin to spread the holiday spirit, you’ll realize just how blessed you are not only in your life but by being able to be in theirs. 

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.