Ruston’s Five Fall Must-Do’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Fall in Louisiana can feel a bit lackluster. We’re all still sweaty, praying for the leaves to turn shades of orange and gold. If you look hard enough though, Ruston can be the perfect place in Louisiana to enjoy fall. Here are five things you need to do to bring in fall!

Grab a Festive Coffee

For some, fall doesn’t start until their first Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Even if you’re not a PSL fan, drinking something warm and spicy as it gets a little chillier is a great way to feel the season change. Anyone who lives here knows that there are a ton of coffee shops in Ruston to choose from, so there are a ton of options for great fall coffees!

My favorite fall coffee that I’ve had so far is the Pecan Pie Latte from Railway Coffee. I get it iced and it’s just perfect. It seriously tastes like a slice of pecan pie!

Pick the Perfect Pumpkin

What is fall without pumpkins? We all know that the best way to make October feel genuinely spooky is to carve a pumpkin! You could always just grab the cheapest pumpkin at Walmart, but why not go the cutest little pumpkin patch you’ve ever seen instead? I just found out about this, but Townsend House Gifts sets up a little pumpkin patch every year right outside of Downtown Ruston! Let’s be honest, grabbing a pumpkin at the grocery store can’t compare to picking one out at a patch. Not to mention, this patch is the perfect place for that fall vibes photo shoot!

Watch a Scary Movie

Did you know that Tech has its own streaming service? Dogflix is our own little slice of streaming, except it has way more recent movies. Dogflix updates the movies they have every month, too, so they have a really great set of horror movies right now! Take a weekend to sit around with your besties, eat some popcorn, and watch It to get into a spooky mood?

Go Thrift Shopping

It might just be me, but I’ve always felt like fall and winter were the unofficial seasons of thrifting. I know that the colder it gets, the more I want to stay inside to read a book or listen to some music. My favorite place in Ruston to find the perfect new book or vinyl is at Number 9 Books and Records.

The atmosphere of Number 9 is insanely cozy and there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Even just the act of rummaging through stacks of old books and records feels, in a strange way, autumnal. It’s also a great place to sit and study if you just need to get away!

Visit the Farmer’s Market

The Ruston Farmer’s Market is not just for spring and summer time. For some reason, fall feels like the perfect time to get back into the kitchen. Why not grab some fresh produce for your favorite fall treats? Fresh apples for cider, or squash for soup. Even if it’s not cold outside, make some food to warm the soul!

There are plenty more autumnal things to do only a few miles away from Ruston, like haunted houses and corn mazes, so make sure to go out and explore this October! Your Fall experience is only limited to your imagination! 

Zoey Hickman

Louisiana Tech '20

Zoey is a Junior Psychology Major. When she's not managing the HC chapter at Louisiana Tech University, she's probably doing freelance work, performing her original music, or working on her podcast! Her favorite things in the world are coffee, scary movies, and fashion.