This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

A microwave is not just for reheating leftovers – you can make delicious meals in them too! Here is one recipe for each meal of the day, plus dessert.

Breakfast: Omelet in a Mug

This is a great recipe for busy mornings or to take with you on the go!

Ingredients:

1 egg + 2 egg whites

2 tablespoons of skim milk

A pinch of salt and pepper to taste

Any veggies and add-ins you like, but my favorites are ham, bell pepper, onion, and spinach

A little cheese for the tip

Directions:

Spray a large microwave-safe mug with cooking spray. Beat the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, vegetables, and anything else you want to add. Microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute. Remove it from the microwave and stir. Cook for another minute or until the eggs are fully cooked. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and let sit a few minutes before eating.

Lunch: Fried Rice

This is a quick and super easy way to squeeze some vegetables into your day.

Ingredients:

1 cup of cooked brown rice

½ cup of frozen vegetable blend

½ stalk of green onion

¼ cup of shredded purple cabbage

1 egg

1 tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce

½ teaspoon of sesame oil

½ teaspoon of onion powder

Directions:

Add the rice to a large mug. Layer frozen vegetable blend, green onion, and cabbage on top of the rice. Cover the mug with plastic cling wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top with a sharp knife. Microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with soy sauce, sesame oil, and onion powder. Pour the egg mixture into the mug and stir it with the veggies and rice. Cover the mug with the plastic cling wrap again, and microwave on high for another 1 ½ minutes or until the egg is completely cooked. Take the mug out and stir everything. Let the rice stand for a couple of minutes. Use a fork to fluff the rice and enjoy!

Dinner: Spaghetti Squash

Microwave spaghetti squash is one of my go-to meals when I don’t have much time to cook, but still want something healthy and delicious.

Ingredients:

1 small spaghetti squash

1 ½ cups of your favorite pasta sauce

8 oz of cooked ground sausage (optional)

Directions:

Using a sharp knife make a few cuts (all the way to the center) in the spaghetti squash to release steam. Place the squash on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn the squash over and microwave in 5-minute increments turning each time until the spaghetti squash is soft. Cut it in half and let it set for a few minutes until it is cool enough to handle. Scoop out the seeds and using a fork, separate the strands. Heat pasta sauce and sausage in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the squash, give it a good stir, and eat it while its hot.

Desert: Cinnamon Roll Cake

Last but certainly not least is desert!

Ingredients:

¼ cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons of milk

1 tablespoon of maple syrup

¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 teaspoon of coconut oil

1 tablespoon of brown sugar

¼ teaspoon of cinnamon

Directions:

Spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray. Mix the flour, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil in the mug. If the batter is too dry, add one or two more tablespoons of milk. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it on top of the batter. Use a toothpick or knife to swirl the mixture on top. Microwave on high for about 1 ½ minutes until the cake is completely cooked. It is best if eaten while hot!

Desirae Bedgood

Louisiana Tech

I am a junior Nutrition and Dietetics major at Louisiana Tech University. I am passionate about all things health and fitness. I enjoy volunteering at our campus food pantry along with various other nutrition-related community projects and events. I have four little sisters and a little brother. I love tea, books, cats, corgis, and crochet!