This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Tis the season! Christmas is here, and judging by the crazed looks on the faces of every department store shopper, gifts are on everyone’s mind. While Christmas is known as the season of giving, oftentimes people mistake having a generous spirit with overextending their bank accounts. Christmas should not be a season of stress! So, here are a few tips to cutting the chaos out of your Christmas and giving your wallet a much-needed break. 

Holiday Treats 

If you’re like me, it’s sometimes difficult to trim your nice list down to a select few. December 1st hits, and I start thinking that my second-grade teacher, my neighbor, that guy who lent me a pen one time, and several more people that aren’t really part of my daily life need to be given a gift. A simple solution: treats! Christmas candies are fun to make, and they don’t break the bank. One batch of sweets can be packaged into gifts for several people on your ever-growing list. 

Draw Names 

You are not the only one rolling coins to afford the holiday season. If you have a group of friends that you are struggling to buy for, why not draw names? Instead of buying for your entire group, select one name and turn it into a game. The secrecy makes gift-giving more exciting, and buying specifically for one person cuts your costs significantly. 

Dirty Santa 

Dirty Santa, White Elephant, or whatever you decide to call it, you’ve likely heard of this fan-favorite party game. Each guest brings a gift, and it turns into a competitive gift exchange. The best game of Dirty Santa I’ve ever played was board game themed. Each guest brought a board game, and once we finished Dirty Santa, we had entertainment for the remainder of the night. This game is a great alternative to gatherings where unforeseen plus ones are present. Everyone who brings a gift gets a gift, and no one is accidentally left out. 

Don’t Buy, Spend Time Instead!

Do NOT feel bad about not buying gifts. “It’s the thought that counts” may be a cliche, but it’s also true. Gifts are a way to express that you care for and appreciate the people around you, but they are not the only way to accomplish this. Spend time with your loved ones. Watch movies, drink cocoa, or simply tell them that you are grateful for their presence in your life. Christmas may be the season of giving, but giving time, kindness, love, and gratitude are so much more important than any materialistic item stores have to offer. 

Merry Christmas, and enjoy your holiday season! 

Abigail Boothe

Louisiana Tech '20

My life revolves around sweet tea, Subway, and a pup named Scout!
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.