This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Everyone has a least favorite season. Some people don’t like summer because of the heat, Spring because of the allergies, or Fall because of the insects. While winter might be your least favorite season for the cold or time change, it can be a much more serious matter for others.

According to Psychology Today, around three percent of Americans suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), otherwise known as Seasonal Depression. Most sufferers claim that it not only affects their mood, but their energy levels, weight, and social adeptness as well. For people dealing with this disorder, the holiday season can feel pretty hopeless.

Here are a few things that you can do to help someone you know, or help yourself.

Get Creative

Making things is one of the best ways to feel something when dealing with any kind of depression. Even if you’re not an artist, try something out. Write a song or a poem, draw fanart of your favorite character, or type up a short story. Putting energy towards making something is a great way to get inspired and feel accomplished. It also might make for a great gift!

Be Nourished

During the holidays, we’re constantly surrounded by food. If you’re feeling sluggish or a little heavier than usual, try focusing on nourishing your body. Only eat food when you’re hungry, and make sure that it’s good for the soul and for the body. Food’s effect on mental health is actually much greater than you’d think! Different kinds of diets have actually been shown to decrease the risk of depression by around thirty-five percent. So, make sure to eat well and eat enough!

Try Something New

If you find yourself stuck inside for your entire Christmas break, utilize that time by learning something new. If you don’t want to stress yourself out by studying one of your classes, pick a subject you’ve always wished you could take a class on! Learn how to play an instrument or speak a new language. You could even learn how to cook, which could make the last suggestion much more accessible.

If you struggle with SAD, I hope you’ll give these tips a try. From one sufferer to another, I think these can be really helpful in being okay during the holidays. The best advice that I can give, though, is to talk to your doctor or therapist. If your SAD symptoms become too much to handle, please reach out to a professional!

Zoey Hickman

Louisiana Tech '20

Zoey is a Junior Psychology Major. When she's not managing the HC chapter at Louisiana Tech University, she's probably doing freelance work, performing her original music, or working on her podcast! Her favorite things in the world are coffee, scary movies, and fashion.