Strength for Anyone Missing Someone This Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The Holiday season is one of the happiest times of the year, but can have such sad moments when you’re spending these holidays without someone special.

For me, it’s my grandmother. 4 years ago I lost her to cancer and it weighs so heavy on my heart this time of year. I don’t have her loving hugs Christmas morning, I don’t have her here to laugh at the memories we talk about at Christmas dinner and I don’t have her smile around to bring warmth and peace. It seems to always feel incomplete without her here and I think it’s always going to be that way, if not forever than for quite a long time.

To anyone else who is feeling the heartbreak, I have a few things I want to say to you. Hopefully to make you feel better, even if it is just for a little while:

“The first thing I want you to know is you’re not alone. We may have lost someone different in our lives, but the pain is all very similar. I know things feel empty but your loved one is still there. They are there enjoying all of the family moments with you in spirit. They are laughing and smiling by the fireplace hearing you talk about how wild of a year 2016 has been for you and how 2017 is your year. So never feel like you are alone in this holiday sadness. I also want to remind you of the strength you have, you are one tough cookie and even when you may feel like crumbling, let the sweetness of the people around you fill in your cracks and help you stay together. It is completely okay to break down during these times, so please never feel like your tears and your sadness make you weak, they make you human. Your family members/ friends are feeling this too so don’t be afraid to let your guard down for a little and break down. The final thing I want to say is that you are so loved and so treasured in this world.  Every moment you have is one that should be treasured because as many of us know, life is so fragile and any moment could be the last. Count your blessings and tell people how much you love them. I hope my words helped in the slightest. Happy Holidays to you all, may your hearts be warm and your love be shared with many.”

My names Amber! I enjoy puppies of all shapes and sizes, Bob's Burgers and Double Dunker ice cream. I'm really good at being super awkward so invite me to gatherings if you want to seem cooler. I think i'm asleep more than i'm awake, and i enjoy to speak my mind :)