absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Our 2020 Democratic Party Candidates and Who They Are

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As 2020 slowly but surely approaches, so do the primary elections for our presidential candidates. Now unless you live under a rock, you are aware that there have already been a series of debates among the Democratic Party that were held over the summer and will continue as their primary elections draw closer. However, a huge problem with the democrats running for POTUS 2020, is that many believe there are just too many of them to keep track of. So to help you out, I want to give you a run down of this election’s top democratic candidates, and what it is they stand for.

Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Good old Biden has run for office twice now, and considers this election to be his last chance to get into office. He is well known for being down to earth and having the ability to connect with many of the working-class voters. The main issues Biden would focus on as POTUS include restoring our global stage and strengthening economic protections for low-income workers in manufacturing industries. Biden is currently the front runner for the Democratic Party, and is many times referred to as maybe not the best option, but definitely the safest, most neutral and probably the most likely to beat out our current POTUS. 

Bernie Sanders

Sanders often describes himself as a democratic socialist who has brought progressive proposals such as tuition-free public college to the table many times in this race. He has run for office before and was the runner-up in the 2016 democratic primary election. In this election, Bernie is focusing on issues such as “medicare for all,” free college tuition and reducing the influence of the billionaires. Bernie has some extremely progressive ideas for the future, but is someone who time and time again has proven he truly does fight for the people.

Elizabeth Warren

Warren is a woman who never is without a plan. She talks greatly on issues such as income equality and the attacks middle class people receive from big corporations and political corruption. She also often preaches about the necessity for some major structural change in our country. What many find appealing about Warren is that with every idea she has, she has an outlined plan of how she wants to get it done. This should be super appealing to voters, as we have been made many promises in the past by candidates that, once elected president, have failed to follow up on once in office.

Kamala Harris

Before the election, Harris was known greatly for being one of the few new Democrats to be able to join the Senate after the 2016 election. She stands out with her history making potential that almost no other candidate can match in either party. She was also a major player when it came to questioning Kavanaugh, as she was one of the tougher questioners, who was not going to let him join the Supreme Court without a fight. In this election, she is focusing on issues such as the unveiled middle class tax cut legislation and the civil rights act agenda in the Senate. This is a woman on a mission, and she is not one to be underestimated. 

Beto O’ Rouke

O’Rouke is a man who has consistently delivered the message of national unity and red-state liberalism in a time in which the country is very divided. He is someone who, since the El Paso shooting, has spoken greatly on gun laws, and very much plans to take action if elected into office. He does not shy away from this promise one bit. Aside from gun laws, O’Rourke mainly talks about issues such as immigration reform, marijuana legalization and rural hospital access. 

Now these are not all the democratic candidates running, so I highly urge you to look into as many of them as you can as the election draws near. Just because these are the top runners does not mean that you won’t agree more with Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg or Andrew Yang and what they have to say about how our country should be run. All that matters is that you care enough about this country and its future to truly take an interest in who you want running it for the next 4 years.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/us/politics/2020-presidential-candidates.html

Hello all! My name is Emma Verdonik and I am a senior in her final year of studying at the University of Kansas. I am an English major who loves writing about all sorts of subjects and wants you to read what I have to say. Enjoy!