A Glance Back at 2017's Best Musical Gifts

The first month of a brand new clean slate has begun. As we move at full speed into 2018, one of the things I can say with certainty that I'm most excited for is the release of all the great new music this new year is sure to bring us. Of course, even in anticipation of what is to come, I can't help but feel obligated to recognize and reflect on what 2017's popular music blessed us with. Below, I present you with five of the albums that collectively killed in 2017.

• Khalid, 'American Teen'

Image result for american teen khalid

Despite the success of singles 'Saved' and 'Location', American Teen was Khalid's first full album release and it set the bar extremely high. Making #6 on Rolling Stone's 50 best albums, Khalid's debut album produced a unique type of nostalgia that gave the beginning of the summer of 2017 a perfect background soundtrack. From the more upbeat and simplistic jams like 'Young, Dumb & Broke' to the deeper wistfulness in 'Coaster' and 'Cold Blooded', this album takes the memories and feelings that comes with being young and shapes them into something even better.

• Daniel Caesar, 'Freudian'

Image result for daniel caesar freudian

I'm willing to go on record and make the claim that no artist captured love's turmoil in a better way than Daniel Caesar did with Freudian. Whether it's the swooning infatuation in 'Take Me Away', the remorse and conflict of desires in 'Neu Roses' or the gush-worthy devotion in 'Best Part', the entirety of this album is a masterpiece that evokes feelings that you probably didn't even know you had. If you managed to go through the final months of 2017 without listening to Freudian, bring it with you into the second month of 2018 and let it be your Valentine's Day soundtrack.

• Billie Eilish, don’t smile at me

Image result for billie eilish don't smile at me

Billie Eilish is not wasting any time rapidly becoming a force to be reckoned with. She may be only sixteen, but the maturity of her music would leave you clueless to that. December graced us with her debut album 'don't smile at me', which is a treasure trove of breezy, bubbly tracks tinged with clever, darker twists. The lush bliss of 'Ocean Eyes' and the charming spice in 'my boy' and 'bellyache' have left the vast majority of us wondering what Billie Eilish will do next- and hoping we'll know sooner than later.

• Lana Del Rey, Lust for Life

Related image

Lana never stays off the radar for long. The two year full-album gap between Honeymoon and her most recent album can be completely forgiven after the mid-summer prize that was Lust for Life. This album was a journey of willful hypnosis- solemn ballads like 'Change' and 'Get Free' mixed with the dreamy tones of 'Groupie Love' and 'Cherry' are melt-inducing, which was certainly appropriate for July, when it was released. Lust for Life deserves a hats off as well for the plethora of interesting collaborations it featured with artists such as The Weeknd, A$AP Rocky and even Stevie Nicks.

• Kendrick Lamar, DAMN. 

Related image

This album has been mentioned before, but if any album is worthy of an honorable second mention, it is DAMN. This album manage to top EVERYONE'S list- NPR named this album their #1 favorite of 2017  right along with Pitchfork and Rolling Stone. From this album, Kendrick Lamar made a perfect example of using art to voice things that truly matter. Through the vulnerability of this album, we were forced to look hard at ourselves and at the world around us. Grateful is an understatement.