Bouncing Back from a Depressive Episode

It’s April! The leaves are budding, the birds are back in business, your allergies are out for blood. With the sun coming out and the days getting longer, a lot of people are feeling a lot brighter and happier throughout the day. For some, it has kind of been a while.

Related imageimage credit

You have probably heard of seasonal, depression, winter depression, or what is clinically referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

First, I would like to address the naming conventions of SAD. You’re kidding, who thought of that one? Anyway.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is REAL, and if you think you may experience seasonal changes in your mood I will link some resources at the end of this article.

Okay. One last thing before I go off. I am not a medical professional. I am not a mental health professional. MY credibility begins and ends with my personal experiences. Please consult a real, physical, human being medical professional if you have concerns about your mental health. Great? Great! Let’s get to business.

Related imageimage credit

Coming out of March and into April I was having a depressive episode and I didn’t really realize it for a while. I, personally, have been managing Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and my therapist and I have tossed around a diagnosis of SAD as well. There is a lot to unpack there but don’t worry about me folks!

I was withdrawn from my pals, unmotivated to get my work done, and I completely fell off the article-writing wagon (whoops!). A few people sort of noticed what was happening with me, but I really didn’t until about last week.

image credit

This long-winded explanation of health and my experience is for me to just share some things with you about coming out of a depressive episode in the hopes that may help you or just make you feel seen. It is okay to ask for help. It is okay to admit that maybe things are not okay. It is okay to feel overwhelmed. It is okay to regain your energy and motivation and feel like you are crawling back to normal, or that it’s time to sprint. Take time to appreciate your tiny victories - whether that means you got out of bed, you finished an assignment, or you made an honest to goodness meal for yourself. Turn every success into a gold medal ceremony - because you DID IT, BABY!!

Image result for you did it gifimage credit

I’ll leave you with this: I believe you. I believe in you. You are stronger than you may realize. Hang in there.

Mayo Clinic on SAD

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Resources

Mental Health America

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline