jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Ways To Improve Your Instagram Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Last week, I was having a bit of an identity crisis.  Pan to me, at work, with seventeen Google Chrome tabs open and five versions of the same photo with different Lightroom Presets.  I had come to an epiphany earlier that day that I didn’t have something that everyone desperately needs: an Instagram aesthetic.  But how on earth does one go about finding their Instagram aesthetic?  Of course, there are multiple ways in which you can establish yourself as having an aesthetic on Instagram.  Here are a few of them.  

1. Choose a color palette.

Credit  

One way to go about establishing an Instagram aesthetic is to choose a color palette.  On my Instagram, I try to stick to shades of nude, ie blush pink and taupe.  If you’re really creative, you can choose a single color as shown above.  This really makes your Instagram page pop, but it’s harder to pull it off properly. 

2. Find a filter and stick with it.   

Credit

Another easy way to perfect your Instagram aesthetic is to choose one filter and stick with it.  Better yet, find an Adobe Lightroom preset or VSCO (iPhone app) filter that you like.  This way, all of your photos will have a similar feel to them.  Most of your favorite influencers use these apps to make their photos match their own aesthetics. 

3. Try to take your photos in similar lighting. 

Credit

Depending on what kind of content you post, this can be hard to control.  If you don’t happen to have giant studio lights in your apartment, you can always use the sun to your advantage to take well-lit photos.  If you like a grungier vibe, opt for photos taken in shadow.    

The most fun part about creating an Instagram aesthetic is adding your own personal touches and making it your own personal style.  As far as aesthetics go, it’s really to each their own.  There is no right or wrong way to go about making an aesthetic or even not making one- it’s all about what you prefer.