Two Songs for Everything You’ll Do This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Music is a constant in my life. When I’m not dancing to music in the studio or playing flute in wind ensemble, I probably have my headphones on listening to something. I’m a Spotify addict who compulsively makes playlists for every mood and activity. In the sometimes-rocky transition between high school and college, having a good song can make all the difference. Today, I share with you two song recommendations to listen to while going about each of your activities this week.

Breakfast 

“Strawberry Fields Forever” by The Beatles and “The 59th Street Bridge Song” by Simon and Garfunkel 

Both of these songs just feel like morning to me. They wake me up gently and put me in a good mood to start my day. These songs should ideally be accompanied by some orange juice and warm toast.

Walking Around

“Wreath” by Perfume Genius and “Let’s Get Married” by Bleachers 

Okay, I’ll admit it, I don’t have a driver’s license. To be fair, you don’t need one on Kenyon’s campus. But while walking back and forth across campus on a cold day, or sitting on the KAT for 45 minutes, I need to listen to something interesting with movement, and these songs fit the bill perfectly.

Working Out 

“Green Light” by Lorde and “Juice” by Lizzo

I have a hard time dragging myself to the gym on cold, dreary days, but these songs make my day brighter and give me the energy and motivation I need to get through my workout. 

Dancing, By Yourself or With Friends

“What Difference Does it Make?” by The Smiths (specifically, the Peel version) and “Love My Way” by The Psychedelic Furs 

Both of these 80s bops will get you up and moving from the very first note. Transport yourself to a time when guitars were jangly and singers were overdramatic, and dance the night away!

Reading

For this category, I provide you with two albums, the Succession Season 1 soundtrack by Nicholas Britell and A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Felix Mendolssohn

I don’t know about you, but I can only read with music playing if said music is instrumental. Both of these albums are gorgeous but not distracting, and long enough so that you can turn them on and start studying without having to think about what you’ll put on next. Plus, Succession is an awesome TV show and listening to its music makes me feel way more productive.

Feeling Angry/Venting 

“Your Best American Girl” and “Townie,” both by Mitski

Mitski’s music not only seems to always understand you, but is also so, so, cathartic. Her loud, aggressive guitars and catchy melodies will provide exactly what you’re looking for.

Relaxing (or Crying) in Bed 

“New Slang” by The Shins and “Me and My Dog” by boygenius

These are two relatively chill picks to calm you down at the end of a long day, but warning: they could make you cry if you’re in an emotional mood.

Next time your life is feeling a little quiet, open up your music streaming application of choice and try out one of these songs. Even if they’re not your taste, I’m a firm believer in the idea that music discovery is a form of enrichment, so go out there and explore!

Image Credits: Feature, 12

Eva House is a sophomore at Kenyon College from Columbus, Ohio. She enjoys dancing, baking, TV, music, and cats.