10 Great Places to Study at Kenyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Now that the grind has officially begun, students are already itching to find their study niches for the semester. While Kenyon may feel pretty small, the creative student can definitely find a wide range of study spaces that will suit their academic needs. From the vibrant social spaces to the silent sanctuaries, here are ten amazing places to study at Kenyon College:

1. The Library

Let’s start with the classic option, shall we? The Olin and Chalmers Libraries (yes, the building is technically two buildings) are in a prime location in the center of campus, and they host a variety of options for all kinds of students. The main parts of the first and second floors are more of a social space, and there are plenty of tables, individual carrels, and study rooms. The third floor is for you silent types, and the front side is especially pretty in the early mornings when the sun streams in. The back side is equally stunning when the sun is setting in the evening. Additionally, the back end of the first floor also features some carrels that students can reserve for three days, so if you need a place to sit down and pound out that Political Science essay, the carrels are the place to do it! Just head on over to the circulation desk and ask about reserving a carrel; the fabulous library workers can help from there.

2. Peirce Dining Hall

Another obvious choice, Peirce has a variety of lovely places to study. There is also access to food and printers, which is always a plus. New Side and the Atrium are perfect for both social studying and quiet studying—it just depends on the time of day. Early mornings and mid-afternoons are especially quiet. During the quieter hours, between meals, you can also channel your inner Hogwarts student and study on Old Side. Lower Peirce also has plenty of options, and it’s also usually pretty quiet. Peirce Pub has a cool vibe and some comfy seating, as well as a pool table and a television for quick study breaks. Bemis, the classroom located upstairs, is also a lovely spot to study in when it’s empty.

3. Ascension

Silent, beautiful, and carpeted, the third floor of Ascension is a lovely place to study. Featuring large wooden tables, one huge desk, and a ton of comfy chairs, this giant room can be a great option. Though it can definitely get crowded at times, early mornings and late evenings are often pretty calm. There is some lovely natural light, and the stained glass and beautiful arched ceilings provide yet another Hogwartsian study space. It is also perfect for those last-minute study sessions before class!

4. Wiggin Street Coffee

Another more obvious location on this list is Wiggin Street Coffee. This is a great place to study with a nice cup of coffee or tea, a pastry, or a bagel with that phenomenal peanut butter—supporting small businesses is great, too! There is almost always music playing, and the atmosphere is warm and full of conversation and laughter. The single-row booths are great for studying alone (or with a buddy if you want!), and the view out the window provides natural light and great people-watching. If you’re okay with a little noise, this is definitely a good place for you!

5. Gund Commons

Conveniently located on the North end of campus, Gund Commons definitely has its advantages. The large room has plenty of round tables for group studying, but it also has its quiet moments. Additionally, the lounge also provides a good place for study breaks. The Career Development Office downstairs often has open hours and events with snacks throughout the year, so pay attention to your emails! The computer lab with printers is also a bonus for those late nights when you forget to print your reading and don’t feel like walking to the library or Peirce. There’s also that strange coffee vending machine by the computer lab, for you adventurous folks who don’t want to travel far for your caffeine fix.

6. Classrooms and Houses

These locations are especially great for weekend studying. The classrooms, in particular, have their benefits if you like studying in the space where you’re going to take the test (I’ve heard that works!), and the projectors are great for movie showings and music-playing. Additionally, the academic houses provide both classroom settings and homey living rooms and kitchens for doing work. O’Connor has a lovely front porch, as does Palme House. Cheever Room, the seminar room in Finn House, also has some incredible natural light. These spaces are good for both individual and group study sessions, and they have always felt more comfortable and inviting for me.

7. The Squad (Science Quad)

I’m going to be honest here: I’m a double major in English and Anthropology. The only experiences I have had with the Squad are two Psych classes in Smather (is that even part of the Squad?) and a few meetings in Higley Auditorium. However, many of my friends pursuing STEM majors seem to love it there. There are plenty of computer labs, classrooms, lounges, and other study spaces, and the buildings seem beautiful and full of natural light. Perhaps I’ll venture over there sometime before my senior year ends, but in the meantime, I’ll rely on the raving reviews (and late-night-study-session-snapchat-stories) of my friends and teammates.​

8. The KAC (Kenyon Athletic Center)

Who said the gym is only for working out? The Fish Bowl (that room just to the right of the entrance to the KAC that shares a glass wall with the swimming pool) is a relatively quiet place to work when you have a bit of time before or after your workout sessions. The couches are also great for naps—I’ve heard many a snore in my two years here. Additionally, the tables in the main area are great people-watching spots that are also surprisingly productive. People tend to go to the KAC with a mission in mind, so conversations usually don’t last too long. Aside from the loss of the KAC Café (sigh) and the lack of a printer (who can I talk to in order to bring one down the hill?), the study spaces there are definitely a fun place to work.

9. Dorms

I know—duh. But I have found that many students don’t take full advantage of their dorm spaces for studying! Dorm rooms are perfect for those presentation practice sessions, vocabulary reviews, and shouting matches with your computer, as they provide a private space where you can work alone. Many dorms/apartments/houses also have access to a kitchen—at the very least, a microwave—which means study snacks are also an option! Plus, your bed is conveniently nearby for power naps or stretching out to do some reading (or procrastinating). If your roommate is taking a nap (or goes to bed super early, like me), there are usually some great study spaces or lounges to work in, as well.

10. Outside!

While this option becomes relatively unavailable between the months of November and about April, studying outside while the weather is lovely is definitely my ideal choice. Get out of the air conditioning! Feel the sun on your face, the breeze on your skin, the occasional ant in your shoe! You can snag an Adirondack chair, stretch out beneath a tree, or sit on the steps of Rosse Hall…and those are just the options within eyesight of Peirce. I also recommend sitting behind Peirce, working at the picnic tables behind Old Kenyon, or bringing a blanket to spread out in South Quad or the Freshman Quad. One of my favorite spots is behind Bushnell, overlooking the hill leading down to the KAC. The swing behind Leonard is also a great spot. Additionally, benches along Middle Path are great for reading, and the tables outside Farr Hall and in the middle of Gambier also provide lovely study spaces (bonus: the Middle Path picnic tables have charging stations!). People-watching provides a lovely diversion from time to time, and sometimes it’s nice to catch up with that friend you haven’t seen in a while.

Whether you’re a lone wolf or a gregarious flamingo (those travel in groups, right?), studiers of all shapes, sizes, and major/minor/concentration combinations can find a wide variety of places to work around campus. I definitely haven’t included every spot, and for good reason; it’s fun to explore, to find that little niche and spend a few hours curled up with a problem set or ridiculously long reading about the minutiae of a particular historical event. This campus is full of wonderful spaces, and searching them out is definitely half the fun.

Image Credit: Taylor Hazan

SaveSave

Taylor is a junior Anthropology and English double major from Charlotte, North Carolina. This is her second year writing for Her Campus Kenyon. When she isn't studying, eating, sleeping, running, or working at the circulation desk at the library, she is probably reading or writing. Taylor also runs on the Cross Country and Track teams and goes to bed abnormally early. She also eats a fluffernutter sandwich every Friday.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.