This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With these two recipes, you will be a crowd pleaser! 

The two recipes that are a must are Potato Latkes (potato pancakes) for Chanukkah, and a remake of Starbuck’s Cranberry Bliss Bar. 

Potato Latkes are eaten at every Chanukkah get-together. They are kind of like mini hashbrowns, but better! 

Potato Latke recipe: (Makes about 10 latkes) 

• 2 cups of peeled and shredded yellow potatoes 
  • 1 Tablespoon of onion, grated 
  • 3 eggs, beaten 
  • 2 Tablespoons of flour 
  • 1 1./2 teaspoons of salt 
  • 1/2 Cup of peanut oil for frying 

Directions

1. Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much moisture as possible.
  2. In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.
  3. In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot! 

I know this sounds weird, but eat these with applesauce and sour cream. I promise it is DEVINE!

Cranberry Bliss Bar recipe: (16 Bars) 

Cake

1 1/2 Sticks of butter, softened 

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar 

3 eggs 

2 Tablespoons minced crystalized ginger 

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 

1/2 Teaspoon salt 

1 1/2 Cup All-purpose flour 

1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda 

3/4 Cup Chopped sweetened dried cranberries 

4 oz White chocolate, cut into chuncks– I am going to use white chocolate chips! 

Frosting

4 oz cream cheese, softened 

3 oz powdered sugar

4 Teaspoons lemon juice 

1 Teaspoon vanilla extract 

1/4 Cup of chopped sweetened dried cranberries 

Drizzled Icing

1/2 Cup powdered sugar 

1 Teaspoon milk 

2 Teaspoons vegetable shortening 

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cake–> 

1. Beat the butter and the brown sugar together, until smooth. Then, add the eggs, ginger, vanilla and the salt, beat well. Gradually mix in the flour and baking soda, until smooth. Then, mix in the dried cranberries and white chocolate to the batter, by hand. 

2. Pour batter into a buttered 9×13 baking pan. 

3. Bake 25-30 minutes. 

4. Allow cake to cool. 

Frosting–> 

1. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth, when the cake is cooled, spread the icing over top of the cake. 

2. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the dried cranberries over the top. 

NEXT: 

1. Make the drizzled icing by whisking together the icing ingredients and drizzle over top of the cranberries. 

2. Cover the cake and let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours. 

If you bring either of these recipes to a family get-together or a holiday party, you will be a crowd pleaser! 

Recipe Links: 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-latkes-i/

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Starbucks-Cranberry-Bliss-Bar-Copycat-Re…

Danie Minor

Kent State

Hey there! My name is Danie Minor, and I am a recent graduate of Kent State. I was a PR major who minored in Fashion Media Writing. I am currently on the job hunt and would love to work within the lifestyle PR realm. I am a city girl from the D.C. metro area. Make sure you check out my personal blog: Definingdanie.com! You can also find me on socialite @danieminor13!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.