Kean University Wears Red for Heart Disease

Did you know that heart disease is still the number one killer of women? It takes the life of 1 in 3 women each year. Millions are affected by heart disease, but not many people know or are aware of heart disease until it is too late.

Kean University made it their mission to do so. On Friday February 1, 2013 students, teachers, and workers all wore the color red to show their support.

Earlier in the week an email was sent out to everyone at Kean University asking for everyone to join the American Heart Association’s fight against heart disease by participating in the national Wear Red Day. Wear Red Day is a chance for us to arm ourselves with knowledge about this devastating disease and to raise funds that will help the American Heart Association advance its research.

To show our support for the fight against heart disease in women, students and faculty were asked to wear the bold color red on Friday February first. It was an easy, powerful way to raise awareness of cardiovascular disease and stroke in both men and women.

Throughout the day students could make a donation at the Wear Red Day table in the University Center Atrium from 12 noon to 4 p.m. or in the Center for Leadership and Service. For every $1 donation you could receive a red dress pin, which symbolizes your commitment to love your heart. All proceeds would be donated to the American Heart Association.

For more information about heart disease, Wear Red day, or donations go to http://www.goredforwomen.org/

About the Author